Talk

Advanced search

Renovating a kitchen without ripping it out

(6 Posts)
Hayls Wed 18-May-05 11:51:47

Dh is coming home for lunch in 20 mins and I need to have some quick figures to hand to persuade him that we CAN afford to redo our kitchen now rather than later. It's quite a small box shape with 7 low cupboards (sink over two)and is generally in good nicj as it's only about 6 years old but very old fashioned and I need to know how much this would be:

worktops to cover all cupboards (and a bit extra to make a breakfast bar)- dh wants real oak but comparison of this and a nice laminate would be great

new stainless steel sink and mixer tap

cheapest new steel gas cooker with separate grill available (found one for £240)

Tile round sink and cooker or a stainless steel splashback for above cooker

We're going to sand the doors and repaint them and put on new handles- can anyone convince me that this isn't a huuuge and horrible job?

Please please give me lots of suggestions! I was thinking of painting the doors a dark cream colour and the walls a very light grey with new (yep) steel handles...any thoughts? FIngers crossed I can persuade him, as he'll do most of the work- doesn't trust me to do it to his high (picky) standards

TIA

throckenholt Wed 18-May-05 11:59:43

have a look at screwfix.co.uk and the B&Q website - they should give you some number to play with.

You can also put on new doors which would be much quicker and easier than sanding/painting.

passtheprozac Wed 18-May-05 12:02:24

hi, dh is kitchen designer so could probably give you some good suggestions, and prices and stuff.

SoupDragon Wed 18-May-05 12:07:16

Do your doors have grooves and panelled bits? If so, sanding and painting could be tricky.

Hayls Wed 18-May-05 14:05:11

SD, the doors do have panels on them. Will that make it really tricky? Think I've managed to talk him round- yippee! My friend just told me that B&Q were selling really good doors in the sale for £5 eeach so that might be worth a look. Just off to do some more investigating now.

littlerach Wed 18-May-05 14:25:01

We just re painted our unit doors, think it was paint by International or Crown, in Jersey Cream. Has come out so much better than I thought! We had to lightly sand the doors first but didn't need to prime them. It did take a while to dry and needed 2 coats. The first coat looked awful and blotchy but the second one looks fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now