Talk

Advanced search

Trying to understand the rules of car seats in the front.

(4 Posts)
wellsie Wed 08-Jul-09 16:46:55

I wasn't sure where to post this but I need some help trying to understand if DS's can sit in the front of the car.
I see lots of friends with children in the front seat of the car but when I visited Halfords recently to purchase another car seat (to use when DS1 has friends home to play) they said because I have an air bag in the front & it can't be turned off then he shouldn't sit in the front. DS1 is 5 & DS2 is 3.
Also, what about these little booster seats? The boys are currently in what we call their "racing car" seats but with the recent hot weather they just are too warm, can we use these booster seats and are they safe?
Any advise is welcome.
Thanks in advance
Wellsie

LIZS Wed 08-Jul-09 16:49:56

You can use any seat except a rear facing one with an airbag legally. Ideally for safety, children should be sat in the back though as airbags can explode forcefully to counter an adults weight/height not a child's.

CMOTdibbler Wed 08-Jul-09 16:53:16

The safest place for children is in the back of the car. If they are not in a rear facing seat and have to be in the front, then the seat should be as far back as possible to stop them getting hurt by the airbag

And at their age, they should be in high back boosters at least - no way a 3 year old should be on a simple booster

wellsie Wed 08-Jul-09 16:54:46

Thanks for this, just what I needed to know smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now