Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

CAT POO - SCREEEEEEEEEAM

(15 Posts)
flashingnose Tue 17-May-05 15:03:10

I know there have been some interesting (!) discussions about this recently but I am desperate for help.

The cat next door uses our garden as her loo every day. I've tried filling the beds with plants to cover any bare earth but I've just gone out there to do my daily check and she's dug one of the newly planted plants up and pooed in the hole

This really is making my life a misery - I cannot afford to spend any more on plants and I really resent having to spend 20 minutes a day checking all the flowerbeds before the kids can go outside.

I know there have been many suggestions (repellent, football, airgun ) but has anyone tried anything that actually works? I carefully de-pooed all the flower beds a while back and sprinkled repellent all over them - next morning, TWO poos . I'm now thinking of buying one of those sonic things for £40 - shows how desperate I am .

Please please help.

WigWamBam Tue 17-May-05 15:04:54

A couple of things you could try: they hate the smell of citrus, so orange peel scattered around is good (this works for us). The other thing that I've seen recommended is to soak teabags in eucalyptus oil and leave them on the garden.

WigWamBam Tue 17-May-05 15:04:55

A couple of things you could try: they hate the smell of citrus, so orange peel scattered around is good (this works for us). The other thing that I've seen recommended is to soak teabags in eucalyptus oil and leave them on the garden.

Pruni Tue 17-May-05 15:05:18

Message withdrawn

flashingnose Tue 17-May-05 15:06:56

Have you tried these things? I'm just so loath to shell out yet more money without results IYKWIM especially when it's not my cat aaaaaaaargh

Eeek Tue 17-May-05 15:08:59

my cats hate cocoa bark mulch - they don't seem to like the way it squeeks under their paws. You could try that - it has the advantage that its doing your garden some good and it smells nice

101StressPuppy Tue 17-May-05 15:10:06

I had this problem with a small piece of earth under my fround window, I got hold of some medium-large sized rounded pebbles and scattered them fairly liberally over the area. Then planted some lavendar and a couple of other plants that spread... this seems to have solved the prblem and it actually looks quite pretty

Agree lion poo etc doesn't work.

piffpaffpuff Tue 17-May-05 15:10:12

go for the gun that'll work as long as you're a good shot

mrsflowerpot Tue 17-May-05 15:10:31

The sonic things do work, if it's the same cat over and over again. Our next door neighbour's cat was a nightmare a couple of summers ago and we got one to keep it off. You need to position it carefully so that it is in just the right place for the cat coming into the garden, which is trial and error for a couple of days. They seem to get the message quite quickly.

I also favoured shouting Sod OFF you stupid cat until I heard ds saying it.

Twiglett Tue 17-May-05 15:11:09

there's a spray stuff animal repellent in homesbase for £5 that if you use it religously seems to stop them

you really need to clean up all the poo - detergent then spray everything - keep cleaning up all the poo every day and re-spray if it rains takes about 6 weeks

you have my sympathy

Twiglett Tue 17-May-05 15:12:02

lion poo didn't work for me, neither did sparkly windmills

chucking a football helped

flashingnose Tue 17-May-05 15:15:49

God this makes me foam at the mouth

Right, shall go for spray stuff next followed by sonic thing if that doesn't work and report back.

Thanks all

Twiglett Tue 17-May-05 15:24:30

if you use the spray stuff (its in a yellow container) - don't stand upwind

flashingnose Tue 17-May-05 15:25:24

SofiaAmes Wed 18-May-05 08:16:38

I (and my mum in california) have had very good luck with mousetraps (the normal oldfashioned kind). They don't actually catch the cats, but when they brush against them and set them off, it gives them a scare. We've found that they seem to remember about them for quite a while, so you don't have to leave them set forever. Leave them set for a few weeks and then just leave them sitting there unset to remind the cats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now