Talk

Advanced search

At what age did you stop using pushchairs with DC?

(20 Posts)
Servalan Mon 06-Jul-09 19:56:23

The wheel came of DD's pushchair last weekend and it is broken beyond repair.

DD turns 3 at the end of the month.

DH begrudges the idea of buying a new one, the reasons being that she will be too old for one very soon and we are skint.

We went to a toddler group on the other side of town today and I really missed the pushchair.

So just wondered what age children typically use pushchairs til to try and guage whether to pursade DH we really need a new one

(I am a SAHM so don't bring any money into the home atm).

Thanks

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 06-Jul-09 19:57:17

Between 3 and 4.

I am selling my Maclaren if you want.

littlelamb Mon 06-Jul-09 19:58:14

Regardless of wether you bring any money into the home surely you shouldn't have to justify an expense like that?

HecatesTwopenceworth Mon 06-Jul-09 19:58:27

erm, I can't remember blush 3? 3.5? 4? Longer than most people I think, because of the need to contain them (asd and RUNNERS!!!) Then moved onto reins.

CarGirl Mon 06-Jul-09 20:00:56

if you walk quite far and/or walk to the supermarket until they're 4.

Dd4 started walking 4 miles per day from the age of 2.1, she's nearly 4, but on days out we still use a buggy mainly to carry the stuff!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 06-Jul-09 20:00:57

2. or just under, as she was walking/running everywhere and little hudini could get out of her straps so that was pointless as she would fall out, so no straps meant she would just run off, meant chasing her and pushing the pushchair, so we got rid of it (not literally, its in our backgarden!).

This child on the way, will be forced to stay in it until he is 4 grin

claireybee Mon 06-Jul-09 20:01:24

Stopped using one most of the time when dd was around 2, she hasn't been in one at all since she was 2.5 (I don't drive so walk everywhere but she has always been a good walker).

You can get a second hand one pretty cheaply though.

claireybee Mon 06-Jul-09 20:02:55

DS will be in one a lot longer though-how else will I transport my shopping? wink

mummyloveslucy Mon 06-Jul-09 20:03:58

About 4. Only if it was going to be too far for her to walk.

purepurple Mon 06-Jul-09 20:04:34

Ds was a fantastic walker and didn't use his much after 18 months
DD was a terrible walker so had hers till she was 3

nickytwotimes Mon 06-Jul-09 20:06:28

I had to stop with ds when he was 2.7 as my back was no longer up to pushing him. I would still use one for long walks if he was average though.
I see loads of kids his age and older in them, and when you have a long way to go or when it is chucking it down or if she tends to run off, then they are invaluable.

You not bringing in cash is irrelevant imo.

CherryChoc Mon 06-Jul-09 20:15:50

Can you buy a completely cheap one from Argos/Tesco Direct/Etc? They have the VERY basic ones for about £20.

Failing that, are you planning on another baby?

CarGirl Mon 06-Jul-09 20:31:17

try freecycle, it may be big old and untrendy but if it works it's worth it!

Servalan Mon 06-Jul-09 21:04:09

Thanks for the feedback.

DD more often than not will walk these days. I tend to use the pushchair mostly for shopping since I tend to go out into town to buy shopping most days rather than do 1 big shop once a week. I don't drive and it's good to have the walk into town anyway.

Often DD will hold my hand and walk as I push a pushchair filled with shopping.

Today was a total PITA cos I walked to a toddler group I hadn't been to before with a group of friends. All their children were in puschairs. The toddler group was a bit of a trek, so DD half walked and was half carried. She's getting pretty heavy so it was tough going. That combined with the fact that it started to rain, so I was combining carrying a small child with an umbrella up and small child paraphanalia in a rucksack on my back...

I had agreed with DH that we should manage without a pushchair until today, but this made me have second thoughts.

Trouble is, he'll then come out with statements like "I think we might have to sell the car we're so short of money" I'm pretty sure he's exaggerating, because he'll come out with outlandish statements one day and take them back the next. Also he's managed to afford to go away by himself recently - but that is all another thread!

Good thinking about Freecycle. I'll give it a look and ditto second hand. Sure I'll sort something out

Overmydeadbody Mon 06-Jul-09 21:19:08

I stopped using a puchchair when DS was 2.5.

They are very useful for shopping though. I'm sure you can pick up a cheap secodn-hand unbrella-style one for £20 or less.

nigglewiggle Mon 06-Jul-09 21:24:26

DD1 was chucked out of hers when DD2 arrived - she was 2.3. She did a bit of buggy-boarding and occasionally jumps in when her sister gets out for a bit. But she either walks or has shoulder rides most of the time. She's got much better at walking long-distances with practice. She's now 3.5.

paisleyleaf Mon 06-Jul-09 21:24:28

DD was quite a late walker (just over 18mths), and we did away with the pushchair soon after (probably around 2) - but I do drive everywhere

Sounds like you might as well get a 2nd hand one/look on freecycle

UniS Mon 06-Jul-09 22:55:24

I don't think we have used ours since Apirl, boy turned 3 in March, hadn't used it much in the few months before that. BUT we do use boys bike A LOT, many of the trips that used to be done with pushchair are now done with him on his bike, and its summer so I'm using my bike and the bike trailer.

If you are missing it, how about asking around to see if any one with a slightly older child has one they don't use any more. We were given our current pushchair by a mum who likes shopping and wanted something more girly for her 2nd child!

A 2nd hand pushchair is worth it if it saves you bus fares and keeps you walking and fit.

If your broken one is a Mcclaren, wheels can be replaced by a dealer/ service centre, cost us about 20 quid for new back wheels.

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Mon 06-Jul-09 22:59:00

Stopped using one with DD when she was 3.5, but should have done it earlier.

LaDiDaDi Mon 06-Jul-09 23:04:20

Dd is 3 and we've used it very infrequently for the past 6 months, mainly if I want to go shopping and want to restrain her as I browse/try stuff on. She would much rather walk/run.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now