Talk

Advanced search

Fostering

(7 Posts)
ElliesMad Tue 17-May-05 12:14:48

Hi
I'm following on from the thread 'A bit of advice re social services'.
Social finally phoned about the possibility of us taking on cousins baby. SW saying even if we start ball rolling now it might not happen until September. I know they've got to do all their checks and train us etc but does 4 months for a family placement sound right??
Can anyone advise?
Thanks

Chandra Tue 17-May-05 12:19:44

Don't know how things work here TBH. I think it would be right but being a baby from your own family is seems a little bit excesive to me.

ElliesMad Tue 17-May-05 12:23:50

Hi
Yes that was what I meant, is it noraml for a placement within the family to take that long? I would have expected it to take that long or longer to become a foster carer.
Thanks

ElliesMad Wed 18-May-05 22:32:36

Hi Has anyone had any experience of fostering within their own family? If so please advise how long being accepted as a carer took
Many Thanks

Sparks Thu 19-May-05 14:55:03

Hi EM
No personal experience of fostering, but have you tried contacting The Fostering Network or BAAF (British Association for Adoption & Fostering) ? They might be able to tell you more.
Good luck

roisin Thu 19-May-05 15:12:46

I know of people who have taken the children immediately, and then had the approval later from SS. It depends really on the circumstances.

Does your cousin currently have 'rights' over this baby, or has the baby been 'removed' to the care of SS?

The time delay is because anything that needs approving needs approving through a panel, and I think it's a two-stage process, and the panel doesn't sit very often.

Generally it is 'bad' for children to be moved around, or to be in placements that don't work out; hence the caution. Research shows that young babies who are in temporary care (below age of 1 year I believe) go on to suffer no ill effects when they are transferred to permanent care, as long as they were in a stable, warm, loving environment.

This is why SS would rather have the baby somewhere settled with a possible delay of 4 months before going somewhere permanent, rather than risking a placement breakdown.

Does that help?

Having said all that, generally with SS nothing will happen very fast unless you keep pushing.

ElliesMad Thu 19-May-05 17:21:40

Hi
I've spoken to fostering agency and they say it shouldn't take that long as a kinship placement. Phoned SS and told them I'd taken independent advice and he said he would arrange family conference. Still not hopeful of spee but it's a start.

Many Thanks for contacts and advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now