loader

Talk

Advanced search

Did this happen to you with 2nd child?

(41 Posts)
lockets Tue 17-May-05 11:36:03

Message withdrawn

Gobbledigook Tue 17-May-05 11:41:46

Not with ds2 but I am with ds3 - I think because I know he's my last baby so it's really sad as each part passes (though of course it's heading towards easier life at the same time). Once he's toddling I'll be really sad that he's a 'toddler' not a 'baby' but I didn't feel that with ds1 or ds2 because I knew I'd have another.

lockets Tue 17-May-05 11:44:22

Message withdrawn

Distel Tue 17-May-05 11:44:36

I was the same. DS2 was 1 on wednesday and I spent the day really sad. I diddn't notice this with DD or DS1 but as Gobbledegook said, always knew I would have another. DS2 is walking and is deffinetly a toddler .

Gobbledigook Tue 17-May-05 11:46:02

Ooh Lockets, will you be going for no. 3?!

lockets Tue 17-May-05 11:46:34

Message withdrawn

lockets Tue 17-May-05 11:47:42

Message withdrawn

Gobbledigook Tue 17-May-05 11:50:19

Yay!! Go for it!

handlemecarefully Tue 17-May-05 11:50:57

With dd I positively willed her to get to the next developmental stage. I was impatiently waiting for her to crawl, walk, talk etc.

With ds (child no 2)I am both chilled out about developmental milestones (more experienced mother?) and a bit regretful when he reaches them. For instance he has just started walking which for me marks the transition from baby to toddler. And yes I think this whistfulness is in part because he may be my last baby.

lockets Tue 17-May-05 11:52:11

Message withdrawn

handlemecarefully Tue 17-May-05 11:56:06

Mind you, I will be quite happy when he becomes a bit more competent at mealtimes and doesn't drop quite so much on the floor / smear it in his hair!

Bozza Tue 17-May-05 11:56:42

Exactly like hmc with both DS (first baby) and DD (last baby). Am exceptionally chilled about DD (one on Sunday) not walking. Was also planning on stopping her bedtime bottle yesterday but let DH get away with giving her one. Will maybe try the cup on Wednesday when he is away. DS was off bottles totally by 11 months.

lockets Tue 17-May-05 12:14:32

Message withdrawn

elliott Tue 17-May-05 12:24:04

I'm the opposite - I find I've been too busy to notice ds2 passing all his milestones It all seems to have gone so quickly with him...

motherpeculiar Tue 17-May-05 12:35:04

exactly the same - and completely agree that it is because i KNOW this is the last baby. I've even felt broody since she was born iykwim, watching every tiny thing and willing her to stay tiny as long as possible (kind of hard as she wasn't anything appriaching tiny to begin with!)

I think you maybe enjoy the second more as you realise that they only stay a baby for a very short time, and also you realise what is in store once they can walk, talk, tantrum etc - aaargh...........

lockets Tue 17-May-05 12:37:18

Message withdrawn

lockets Tue 17-May-05 12:44:10

Message withdrawn

motherpeculiar Tue 17-May-05 12:48:49

Hi Lockets

Esther is a complete star - I am so smitten you wouldn't believe it . DD1 is getting more and more into her now that she is starting to react a bit more and is very proud as she reckons we've done a damn fine job of teaching Esther to smile. DD1 takes a lot of the credit for that herself.
We haven't much of a routine either, mind you I still don't have much of a one with DD1 so that's not too great a surprise. laid back is fine in my book.

Glad Saskia is doing so well and that your other DD is happy with her!

lockets Tue 17-May-05 12:51:37

Message withdrawn

JoolsToo Tue 17-May-05 17:28:21

"though of course it's heading towards easier life at the same time"

ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha

hewlettsdaughter Tue 17-May-05 17:52:54

Is that hollow laughter JoolsToo?!

I asked the opposite question recently - ie am I weird for NOT being sad that dd (now one) is moving on. My experience with ds has shown that there is lots to look forward to and I find babies quite hard, so I am embracing all the developments. At the moment anyway!

Twiglett Tue 17-May-05 17:54:25

last baby syndrome

I get sad when she goes up a size

fruitful Tue 17-May-05 18:00:07

Hewletts - I was reading this thread and feeling wierd too! Because I'm pleased as ds (3mo) starts to get bigger and do things, and can't wait for him to be moving about. The baby stage is sooo boring. And harder work I think (depends what sort of toddler he grows into I suppose). He basically eats, sleeps and cries at the moment, with about 10 minutes of happy interaction every 3 hours. Just longing for him to get bigger.

And he is the last (if we listen to the surgeon's advice, which we may not ).

hewlettsdaughter Tue 17-May-05 19:36:00

dd is my last too

handlemecarefully Tue 17-May-05 22:23:41

Give me boring baby any time compared to stroppy bossy nose picking opinionated toddler ! - however I still love her, threenager though she undoubtedly is

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now