Talk

Advanced search

Broadband for Mac any recommendations?

(12 Posts)
edam Mon 16-May-05 14:25:38

Hi

Haven't been around much recently, partly due to cr*p dial-up connection since old broadband supplier sent us to no-man's land (never, ever even think about leaving Legend, they won't let you go...).

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out which broadband supplier we should switch to. We are on a Mac and want 1GB, good tech support and a reliable connection. Would welcome any suggestions or awful warnings of providers to avoid. So far have heard BT don't really support Mac, Tiscali and Virgin are dreadful and Wanadoo has appalling tech support. Demon look good (if expensive) but anyone heard different?

All comments v. gratefully received.

Edam

edam Mon 16-May-05 14:43:30

anyone? should have said am now working from home so deffo need something reliable with good support.

ta

leahbump Mon 16-May-05 14:45:50

hub2dee should be able to help....

pinkmama Mon 16-May-05 14:48:48

Hi Edam
I have Mac and we have broadband through NTL. Cant comment on tech support because only needed it once when Ithought it was going to slow, and it did get sorted asap. We have just about the lowest speed you can get, and have to say it is fine, but then we are not big downloaders. I rely on mine completely for working from home and have had it for about 18 months with just that one problem I mentioned before. My BIL has the 1GB through NTL and tbh I really couldnt tell the difference in using the web etc, but he downloads a lot, so is probably worth it.
Good luck choosing

hub2dee Mon 16-May-05 15:35:03

Hi,

I opted for a small, v. techy outfit called Andrews & Arnold . They are happy to support Mac / Unix / Windows connections. They seriously know their stuff. I think they are a little more expensive than other players, but their network availability and uptime are second to none. They routinely come at or near the top in the league tables / tests.

I have recommended them to all the family etc. and have heard no grumbles.

I am happy to pay extra because I refuse to speak to clueless support people (BT) or to have my line come up and down repeatedly during the day - after all I have a serious MN addiction to feed.

There is a good comparison and information site here

ediemay Mon 16-May-05 15:45:49

Hi

have been using BT for broadband on iMac and iBook for 6 months now - no problems yet.

edam Mon 16-May-05 17:14:47

cheers guys that's really helpful.
H2D, will definitely investigate A&A - do you think there are any risks in choosing a small outfit?
Pinkmama, do you have yours via cable?
Ediemay you've probably got a more recent op system than us - we are using OS9 (which is really not that old) and BT got all sniffy about our processor speed and suggested we should upgrade purely for the pleasure of paying them good money! As if!
thanks again

alibubbles Mon 16-May-05 17:18:47

We have had BT broadband since it was first available. We did have a few problems to start with, but it is a few years ago now, with it going'down' but it transpired that the connections at the exchange were loose!

We had a very helpful engineer came out who was a real mac man, he was determined to get to the bottom of the problem. He even gave us his personal mobile number in case we had a problem in the future!

The other problem we had was every so often the connection wouldbe lost, never to be found, but our BT line has our burglar alarm on the same line, every time ADT came to do a service broadband would go out!

We run 6 macs ( powerbook, iMacs, iBooks and not sure what DH's one is, at the same time using a netgear adsl router and touch wood, we have had no problems.

hub2dee Mon 16-May-05 18:00:40

Yeah, the only risk is you'll get put throught to someone who knows something, who gives a toss, and values your custom.

For my IP connection, I am fussy. They are ace.

(Also have Linux guru Internet freak friend... totally genius. He uses them).

edam Tue 17-May-05 10:32:58

LOL H2D, thanks for that .
And thanks everyone, that's really helpful.

pinkmama Tue 17-May-05 10:35:42

Hi Edam
Ours comes through the set top box. We have the whole lot from NTL, phone, digital tv and broadband.

lucyep Fri 20-May-05 11:48:21

I'm on virgin.net for my Mac's broadband connection and have been since I can remember. I've never had any problems with them at all. They offer Mac support for both OS9 and OSX, you have a separate support telephone number to ring, so you don't get a dim wit who only knows PC's lol! They've always known their stuff when I've rung. You can have either 512K or 1MB service with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now