Talk

Advanced search

Is a rabbit suitable for 1 year old?

(39 Posts)
Springchicken Mon 16-May-05 14:17:31

It's DD's birthday in July and we are trying to put our thinking caps on with regard to her present.

We want it to be soemthing special as it is her first birthday and equally don't want to buy her toys as she will get tons, we've just kitted out her summer wardrobe and needs nothing doing to her nursery etc.

Rabbit is the only thing we can agree on but wondering if you think it is unsuitable for a 1 year old?
Plus, i've wanted a rabbit for ages but DP wouldn't let me

nutcracker Mon 16-May-05 14:18:20

Don't they bite though ??

almostanangel Mon 16-May-05 14:18:28

yes but boil it first !! oh sorry as a pet ,,,,if you want one its a great prezzi !!lol

Gwenick Mon 16-May-05 14:18:45

and you'll be looking after it for the next 10yrs - until she's old enough to be responsible for it herself!!!!

Titania Mon 16-May-05 14:19:25

my ds2 is 15 months and loves our rabbits. you just have to watch they dont pull the ears. plus they need vaccinating etc and cleaning out everyday

starlover Mon 16-May-05 14:19:33

rabbits do make very good pets. BUT they will not tolerate being handled roughly...

if you want your dd to be able to cuddle it and play with it then I would say no.

nutcracker Mon 16-May-05 14:19:53

My Dd1 wants one too and she is 7 but tbh I am not sure cos if it does bite her she will never touch it again.

starlover Mon 16-May-05 14:21:11

nutcracker my rabbit has only ever bitten me once and that was when i was feeding him from my hand!
He has bitten my dad when he was trying to get him out from under the hutch,

As long as they get used to being handled, and you are gentle with them then they shouldn't bite. It's the same with anything really... a dog or cat would bite you if you mucked it about too much, and so do rabbits!

Springchicken Mon 16-May-05 14:23:37

We had a dog until this weekend and she was brilliant with him but she did try and pull his tail and ears.
Not sure how she would be with a rabbit to be honest.
But is sooooooooooooooooo want one

Springchicken Mon 16-May-05 14:24:04

But I soooooo want one

nutcracker Mon 16-May-05 14:24:37

What happened to your dog ??

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 16-May-05 14:26:00

It also depends on where you are going to keep him.

My mum and dad have sectioned off half of their garage for their Rabbit but it gets regular visits from mice and mum has a panic attack everytime dd touches her. She also gets a few eye infections.

mancmum Mon 16-May-05 14:27:35

I had a house rabbit and for a few weeks it was fabulous, but then I started finding its poo all over the house despite its appearance to being trained... it would not let me cuddle it and so was more trouble than worth... I also think it is quite cruel to keep them in a hutch, especially if they are on their own, so I don't think I would recommend one...

littlerach Mon 16-May-05 14:29:37

My neighbour bought one for her son's 1st birthday and regrets it so much. She has to clean it out etc every day, as well as doing her usual stuff, and the little boy is not that interested.

DaddyCool Mon 16-May-05 14:30:05

your dd might not like the taste at first but if you blend it in with lots of veg and baby-rice, you should be ok........

Springchicken Mon 16-May-05 14:32:20

DC......................How Horrid!

I remember being in majorca with my parents once on holiday and my dad had rabbit in the restaurant. I refused to sit anywhere near him and asked the waiter to make me a table over the other side of the restaurant.
I was only 8

It would be kept in a hutch - our garden is very big and DP has said he will build a big run that we can attach onto the hutch so he can come in and out whenever he pleases.

Springchicken Mon 16-May-05 14:33:02

Why i do get the impression i shouldn't get the rabbit?

jessicasmummy Mon 16-May-05 14:34:34

i had 2 rabbits when i turned 18 - thought i would love it - i hated it!

they are cute to start with but the novelty wears off. I actually found a new home for one of them, and the other sadly died - lonely i think!

i wouldnt even consider a rabbit for jess who is going to be 1 this year....

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 16-May-05 14:35:09

It'll be a lovely pressie SC but it's like Titania said they do need cleaning out regular, would you really be bothered doing that especially in the winter.

littlerach Mon 16-May-05 14:35:47

Have to agree with Jessiacsmummy...

starlover Mon 16-May-05 14:36:08

springchicken.. if YOU want a rabbit then get one.... but don't expect your dd to be that interested in it, and be prepared for looking after it every day

as I said, they do make fantastic pets. But they love company so you're better off with 2. they will need cleaning out at least once a week (and their toilet every couple of days), feeding and watering twice a day etc etc....

DaddyCool Mon 16-May-05 14:37:27

my dad's a minister and every easter he would take a baby animal of some sort into the church to show the kids and let them pet it and so on.

anyway, one year, it was a little white rabbit. We kept it as a pet afterwards and it grew to be a big, miserable white rabbit which liked attacking my mother.

it seemed to be too big for the hutch we made so we gave him free run of the locked garage. each day when mum (mum's always get stuck with this don't they!) went into the garage to set down the food and water, the rabbit would charge at her and she would run for life out the door and close it quickly. if it managed to get her, it would nip at her ankles. poor thing (both mum and rabbit). eventually we gave it to a local zoo.

Springchicken Mon 16-May-05 14:38:10

I am now going to hold you all responsible for helping me find DD another birthday present now.

Get the idea's rolling in

starlover Mon 16-May-05 14:39:18

yeah they do get like that unless you handle them every day. My rabbit LOVES cuddles (but only from me!) and he is very affectionate (licks my face and hands).... But if you don't have the time to spend with them then they do get very territorial and can be aggressive.
The bigger they are the more docile they are though

starlover Mon 16-May-05 14:39:42

ooookkkkk how about something that she can keep forever like a silver charm bracelet or something?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now