Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bad mother needs holiday ALONE: anyone done it?

(14 Posts)
marzena Fri 13-May-05 18:56:02

OK I am not a bad mother, in fact I'm doing fine.

I just need a break desperately, and wondered who has done this and how.

I don't want to visit friends or family. I want to be alone.
I don't want to have a couple of days, I want a week, preferably more.
I'm not interested in spas or city breaks, I want somewhere hot . It's been so cold here I'm losing the will to live.

I just can't quite work out how to tell dp that I want to go off on a jolly without him or our son (16m).

And if anyone has a luxury villa in a hot country where I can go and be totally and utterly alone, please make yourself known.

TrophyWife Fri 13-May-05 18:58:23

no holiday home to offer, but would like to come too....

marzena Fri 13-May-05 19:11:32

Ah TrophyWife, under normal circs you'd be welcome, but this is MY fantasy holiday and I'm gorgeously, blissfully alone...

tammybear Fri 13-May-05 19:30:17

you know I was thinking of starting a thread exactly like this, as i wanted to go away on my own abroad for a week, but cant afford it so that's that. so cant offer anything to you either, just wanted to say when you go, enjoy it, and ill be sat here lol

Pruni Fri 13-May-05 19:47:36

Message withdrawn

Pruni Fri 13-May-05 19:48:15

Message withdrawn

Ulysees Fri 13-May-05 20:03:45

No Pruni I don't think it's blasphemous at all. There'd be other people on it though. If you aren't religious there are other types of retreat but as a Christian I'm hoping you go on one with us lot and become a believer

I've heard of a yoga type one before but I'm guessing there are lots to choose from?

lou33 Fri 13-May-05 21:04:58

i went to thailand for 9 days alone, and left dh with the kids, was great.

piffle Fri 13-May-05 21:13:50

I feel an MN summer jaunt coming on, without kids or hubbies for those of us in need of a few good books, cool sangria, sleep ins and nights out
Count me in!

Ulysees Fri 13-May-05 23:07:18

I bet it's very liberating to go alone.

Sounds like a good idea piffle

Blu Fri 13-May-05 23:22:57

I have been on hol on my own three times - total bliss for those over-stressed times! Book a cheap flight to a Greek Island, get a bus or taxi to a smallish nice place, and look for the 'rooms to let' signs - you can invariably get a really lovely self-catering room with terrace or courtyard for less than £15 a night out of season - i.e now-mid-July. Look at a few and avoid anything obviously too studenty. Lots are the ones you see in brochures but haven't been booked.

Or get a cheap RyanAir flight to Gerona, (do I mean Gerona? the airport inland from the Costa Brava) Hire a car at the airport (you can check hire prices in advance through Europecar), drive to llafranc or Tamariu, and find a little place to stay through the agents there. You could google in advance. great scebery, not over-developed, can eat v cheaply in nice cafes on the seafront, and walk along coastal path.

Chandra Fri 13-May-05 23:28:58

I'm thinking about this as well. I really need some peace! I'm tired to be the memory of the household. I just want a place where I can relax and forget that I have to remind DH that the house is NOT in that direction or that DS normally eats at lunch!

Skribble Fri 13-May-05 23:30:58

Self catering sounds better than sitting in a hotel dining room full of aging couples looking at you sympatheticly hoping someone else will ask you to join them.

I am picturing the scene already croissants, earlgrey and a tuscan terrace all to myself.

Never managed away by myself, went on a business trip with hubby to Paris. Had the days to myself to wander the shops and parks and went out for dinner with hubby so best of both worlds.

WideWebWitch Sat 14-May-05 11:13:49

No suggesttions but I'm deeply envious, have a lovely time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now