Talk

Advanced search

What on EARTH has happened to MN lately?

(89 Posts)
MrsMerryHenry Sun 21-Jun-09 23:03:20

Over the last couple of weeks it's as if there's been an online synchronising of menstrual cycles and everyone has raging PMT!

Okay, not everyone, but surely I can't be the only one to have noticed that there's been a hell of a lot of stroppy teen catfighting and name-calling, and lots of posters seem to be in hypersensitive mode, snapping at the merest indication of dissent or independent thought. I would even describe the atmosphere as vituperative, which makes me think how humiliating it is for DG to have described MN in those terms and then for so many posters to prove her right.

Perhaps things have calmed down now - I haven't been on the site much for a few days, partly because of the unpleasantness and partly because of RL stuff. But if this is how things were pre-Moldiegate I can now see why some MNers felt the need to separate themselves. Which makes me very sad.

WolframAlpha Sun 21-Jun-09 23:05:06

who is dg?

agree it is quite gladiatorial at the mo.

vituperative. I'm going to look it up.

GodzillasBumcheek Sun 21-Jun-09 23:06:59

LOL...that's what i thought

D'urrrrrrrr vituperative?

GodzillasBumcheek Sun 21-Jun-09 23:08:34

Yes, it is.

Shall have to remember that word.

WolframAlpha Sun 21-Jun-09 23:08:39

ok, have looked it up.

: uttering or given to censure : containing or characterized by verbal abuse

Maybe it's the summer solstice <hopeful hippy emoticon needed?>

mrsruffallo Sun 21-Jun-09 23:08:56

Don't know what's going on but it seems a bit....odd

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 21-Jun-09 23:10:17

Is it? I haven't noticed it to be worse than usual - it's always like this isn't it?

Unless I just haven't been on the same threads. Links, please!

CKelpie Sun 21-Jun-09 23:11:12

I have pmt...Grrrrrr!

Where has the moon gone?

snigger Sun 21-Jun-09 23:12:01

Frankly, we probably need to be putting the laptops down at 9pm and having some sex.

Dopamine will vastly improve the posting trends.

<<scarpers off to take own advice>>

MrsMerryHenry Sun 21-Jun-09 23:14:24

DG = Daisy Goodwin. Like 'gladiatorial'; that's a good word to describe it. DG in my very little experience is very pro-supporting people in career terms, so it comes across as even more teenaged when people scoff at her using this word against us rather than asking themselves whether there might be any truth in it.

BIWI, there have been loads of threads - all the anti-male MNer ones (and the pro-men ones, which turned into bitch fights hmm). Plus other ordinary threads where people are having a normal convo and then all of a sudden - WOOOOAAAAHHH!

I sometimes wonder whether these people who catfight have anything significant going on in their real lives.

MrsMerryHenry Sun 21-Jun-09 23:15:14

grin @ snigger! - smart cookie! (MMH wonders: is it wrong to jump sleep-deprived DH while he's snoring?)

WolframAlpha Sun 21-Jun-09 23:20:24

Yes, snigger, you are on to a winner with that one. I have drunk just the right amount of pink wine too.

MrsHenry, could you link to the DG piece, would be interested.

Off for a domanine injection (snigger, snigger)

wrinklytum Sun 21-Jun-09 23:20:42

Has it?Hadn't realised apart from troll issue.Then again have had enough probs in Rl to keep soaps in storylines for a while!Mrs MH i love your name!However Thierry is MINE,all mine!.Failing that can I have the delicious Colin Jackson instead (Yes I have been watching athletics )

WolframAlpha Sun 21-Jun-09 23:20:57

dopamine argh! (might be too much pink wine, after all...)

piprabbit Sun 21-Jun-09 23:28:45

I was going to use the word brutal but I think you've hit it on the head. <wanders off to search for pink wine in the fridge - am sure there was some there earlier this evening (hic)>

MrsMerryHenry Sun 21-Jun-09 23:31:46

I think it's this one, WolframAlpha.

Wrinkly (mine too!), you can have Colin. And (dare I say it) Thierry too (too young for my old bones). Well, apart from on weekends wink.

Right, off to do some packing but will check thread for updates.

wrinklytum Sun 21-Jun-09 23:34:28

LOL.Seriously,has mn been that nasty recently/m only on in evenings so can't judge entirely?

GodzillasBumcheek Mon 22-Jun-09 08:36:07

Wow. Just read the article you linked to MrsMH...i must not be a fundamentalist obviously because i agreed with almost every word.

In fact the only bit that i disagreed with was that bit near the end about women being more able to achieve their dreams nowadays. I would think if your dream is to be a cashier/shelf-filler and be treated like sh** then it's easy, but want to be a SAHM - hah!

Tortington Mon 22-Jun-09 09:07:30

There has ben a certain saturnine quality to the postings, but i am not altogether sure that this is any more or less than before.

Tortington Mon 22-Jun-09 09:12:52

grin grin grin]

aww diddims for Daisy, she was disagreed with on mumsnet and.....wrote an article about it in the daily hate.

pmsl.

thumbwitch Mon 22-Jun-09 09:15:59

I agree with you MrsMH - it has been a strange place recently! There seem to be lots of very, shall we say, outspoken posters now who seem to think they have a given right to tromp over other posters' feelings etc. without fear or censure. How very rude!

More chocolate all round, I feel. grin

LupusinaLlamasuit Mon 22-Jun-09 09:21:30

Well. The DG bit is a red herring. She wrote some nonsense about BF a couple of weeks before and then got all upset when MN put her right. That she decided to use the evidence of a few nutty posters on MN as the norm, and then decided it was some unsisterly trend speaks volumes about her own narcissism. Anyway you can go and ask her about it yourselves as she's apparently doing a live chat tomorrow.

Tortington Mon 22-Jun-09 09:27:19

live chat - oh how very stupid of her.

Never heard of her. and from this one article alone, i don't want to

thumbwitch Mon 22-Jun-09 09:35:34

she's a bit reactionary isn't she? And she hasn't really shown much in the way of female solidarity herself by denigrating the denizens of MN, dozy bint! Ah well.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 22-Jun-09 09:40:03

Oh fabulous, another mention of the bloody mouldies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now