Talk

Advanced search

Wish us luck - made a decision that will hopefully be the Best Thing Ever!

(8 Posts)
AnarchyAunt Sun 21-Jun-09 21:31:13

We (myself, dd, dp and his smelly dog) are applying to join a Housing Co-operative.

30 acres of land, 16th century farmhouse, sheep, horses, chickens, fruit/vegetable gardens, orchard, a small gang of HE kids for DD to go feral with, a huuuuuge barn for DP to dismantle fiddle with electrical things in, solar powered everything, a micro-brewery...

If we are accepted we pay £1 each to become members and thus joint 'owners' of the smallholding.

DP and I don't live together, when we first got together (18m ago but had been friends for 10 yrs!) we made a conscious decision not to until we found the right place to move to. I am so hopeful that they will accept us - we have been for a short visit and now have to go on a longer one later in the summer. They are looking for new members atm and seemed to like us when we visited a while ago. It seems so perfect for us and our family and lifestyle.

I hardly dare hope but grin grin grin

bronze Sun 21-Jun-09 21:33:13

wow sounds fantastic
from what I know if you it sounds like it would be perfect for you
good luck

hocuspontas Sun 21-Jun-09 21:35:19

Sounds fantastic. If I was 30 years younger I'd join in a heartbeat. The only thing I'd be worried about is the division of labour and how to resolve differences between other members. But.... go for it!

AnarchyAunt Sun 21-Jun-09 21:36:09

<<swoon>> that anyone 'knows' me well enough to know I'd love it blush

Thanks. I am v v excited and nervous.

AnarchyAunt Mon 22-Jun-09 12:26:27

hocus - tbh any issues with other members will be worth dealing with to live somewhere so beautiful. We've both lived communally/cooperatively before and whatever the differences with other people, everyone is there for the same reasons and has the same general values/principles/ideals.

DippyDino Tue 23-Jun-09 20:34:14

Good luck AnarchyAunt, I'm v v jealous - me and dh have discussed similar but we are not the most 'sociable' people ever. Communal living would be fine as long as the other people never come near us or speak...

When the zombies rise you'll be in a great position!

AnarchyAunt Mon 20-Jul-09 20:21:08

Well, we were meant to be there for two weeks right now but my suspected swine flu has mean we are still in sunny Birmingham [cough] [sneeze]

Going next weekend I think for a longer visit. Then probably another later this summer, and then we should find out if they want us or not.

<<fingers crossed>>

TheProvincialLady Mon 20-Jul-09 20:26:23

Gosh it sounds fascinating. I think it must be simultaneously wonderful and awful (for me, I mean)grin

I hope you like it when you make your longer visit and that they accept you if you do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now