Advanced search

Nice Areas in Oz?

(52 Posts)
Mosschops30 Wed 11-May-05 09:39:52

Message withdrawn

Mosschops30 Wed 11-May-05 10:13:04

Message withdrawn

koalabear Wed 11-May-05 10:19:22

Loads of nice family areas in Melbourne and Sydney (having lived in both) - what are you looking for specifically?

cori Wed 11-May-05 10:26:16

DH is from Sydney.
We can probably advise you on where not to live.
SYdney is huge, you probably dont want anywhere to far west ( presumably you want to be near the coast/ beaches)
CAT me with specifics, will try best to advise.

Mosschops30 Wed 11-May-05 11:42:48

Message withdrawn

koalabear Wed 11-May-05 12:04:07

Melbourne is my favourite over Sydney any day of the week

If you want something out of town, there are some fab places, very family oriented and near beaches, to the south of Melbourne

Ocean's Grove springs to mind as the best, also Sorento

For lovely family oriented beach suburbs within Melbourne, go for Williamstown, Yarraville, Brighton, Sandringham

cori Wed 11-May-05 12:26:48

Ok, If your thinking NSW, you could look at areas around the central coast. Look at Gosford ( it is about 1 hour by train from Sydney) It is quiet and family oriented and has some lovely beaches.

jenkel Wed 11-May-05 12:43:15

We are also looking to buy somewhere on the outskirts of sydney and have been a few times, last time in Nov. Gosford is a good area, some relatives have a holiday home around that area (Umina Beach), good train links into central sydney, lovely beaches, seemed very quiet. We really like northern beaches but that is more in the city. Castle Hill area is nice, we stayed in Kenthurst with relatives. Kenthurst seemed lovely but is inland - on the way to the blue moutnains but still classed as Sydney I think. Parramatta is a bigish town/city inland again, think there are some good and some not so good areas to live here.
Dont really have any other advice but will watch this thread with interest.

DaddyCool Wed 11-May-05 12:52:56

i thougth melbourne was the 'coolest' city but the weather is rubbish. i wasn't keene on Sydney at all but i must say it was alot nicer than most cities worldwide.

I loved Queensland. I spent most of my time in the rural areas but Brisbane looked really nice.

i like it hot, really hot. if we are going to emigrate (still trying to wear dw down on this one), we'd like to got to brisbane but we are very curious about perth. we've heard good things. have you looked into perth at all?

suzywong Wed 11-May-05 13:07:22

Bah! to the Eastern States
Perth is the best and you know it

hannahsaunt Wed 11-May-05 13:07:38

DC - which parts of rural Queensland? We're off to Townsville for a year in the summer and trying to glean as much info as poss. Good things to do?

DaddyCool Wed 11-May-05 13:08:37

suzy - i didn't make it to perth. is it relatively hot all year round?

DaddyCool Wed 11-May-05 13:10:08

i was close to townsville! i met dw and worked on farms in bowen, just down the coast.

i loved that area of queensland. deserted beaches with bright blue water and white sand. very low population... just a great place to relax and forget about the rest of the world.

Mosschops30 Wed 11-May-05 13:13:24

Message withdrawn

suzywong Wed 11-May-05 13:16:20

Perth has a climate similar to Southern Spain, it's wet autumn day today, rainy but with clear spells and about 22 degrees, the locals have been wearing woollies, but I'm in a t-shirt

It could be considered a bit far away, it is officially the most isolated (state) capital city in the world but it is, of course a good 4 hours closer to the UK in terms of flying time

noddyholder Wed 11-May-05 13:20:39

Perth is gorgeous I spent a year in Oz and it was definitely my fave place Could really imagine living there.There is a hippy bit by the sea which I have forgotten the name of but I'm sure someone here will know It is a bit like Brighton where I live now but a bit nicer and great weather

suzywong Wed 11-May-05 13:21:28

That'll be Fremantle

cori Wed 11-May-05 13:28:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Mosschops30 Wed 11-May-05 13:31:27

Message withdrawn

eidsvold Wed 11-May-05 13:31:41

i'm with you dc... being a brissy girl born and bred although have also lived in rocky, mackay and a little country town called Eidsvold..... brissy - fab areas, reasonable real estate,. great beaches north or south and very family oriented. we live on the northern outskirts and often go to the beach with th dd's for breakfast, or fish and chips, swim, walk.

pah to suzy and those western hicks - warmer here than in Perth as it is further south.

further nth from brissy - mackay - gateway to the beautiful whitsundays, beaches and tropical weather.

suzywong Wed 11-May-05 13:35:45

hick schmick

I've been here, blimey 9 months now, it's dh's home town so I was well forewarned and it is hard settling kids in but soooo worth it IMO, I am totally in love with it and wild horses wouldn't drag me back to the UK

Do you have you visa and all that Mosschops?

tomasinatank Wed 11-May-05 13:39:07

I used to live in Fremantle and Kangaroo Point in Brisbane. Hope to return to the Perth area again some day to settle - really really miss it <<<sigh>>>

Great thing about Fremantle was in the afternoons you get the Freo doctor (cool breeze coming in off the ocean) Now I am pining.....

milge Wed 11-May-05 13:43:01

Perth does it for me - i'd go there anytime over Sydney - those beautiful Indian Ocean beaches. WA wine. Fewer people. Nearer the UK. Sigh.

eidsvold Wed 11-May-05 13:44:22

mosschops my english dh moved back here with me and he loves it - even if his beloved chelsea finally won the premiership and he wasn't there to see it even if christmas is bloody hot, even if he has to get up in the middle of the night, wee hours of the morning to watch football on the tele.....wouldn't move back for quids - best decision we ever made.

koalabear Wed 11-May-05 13:45:17

mosschops - i don't want to offend, but I wouldn't want live in Laverton or Point Cook - there is a huge sewage plant there and if the wind blows the wrong way .... ugghhhhh (lived at Point Cook for a time, so I know) - Williamstown is north from these places, and much nicer - although, my vote is still for Ocean's Grove ....

As for Bankstown, Quakers Hill and nr Liverpool - my cousins lived near there and it was VERY VERY ROUGH. If you thinking of Sydney, go north up the coast, or south down the coast, but not inland.

Someone mentioned Townsville - nice in the dry, nasty in the wet season (Dec, Jan, Feb, and maybe March) ... very humid ... all you want to do is lie on the tiled floor and drink copeous amounts of water .... also, watch out on the beach for there is a "stinger" season - jellyfish, which are poisonous - you can only swim at certain times of the year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now