Talk

Advanced search

stressed out about my driving test

(13 Posts)
emily05 Tue 10-May-05 21:02:18

I have my driving test in little under a months time. I have put it off for so long. I am so so nervous, every-time I think about it I feel really sick!! I am on the verge of canceling it I am so stressed!!!

Help!

moondog Tue 10-May-05 21:05:14

Don't cancel. Try to keep calm and think what a difference it will make to your life (speaking as someone who failed 5 times!)
Good luck!

Allyco Tue 10-May-05 21:16:51

know how you feel. I failed twice. When I eventually passed I kissed the examiner (was so desperate to pass that if he'd have said a shag would help I would've done it).

whereabouts are you learning?

emily05 Tue 10-May-05 21:21:36

thanks for replying. feel so silly, but I cant stop thinking about it!! I am in southend essex. I have been learning for so long I should be a great driver! In truth I probably can drive, but it is my parking that is a bit dodgy! and when I get nervous my driving goes to pot too!
I hope you both dont mind me asking, were you gutted when you failed, or did you just think "I will go for it again?". I keep thinking that if i fail I will just put it down to experience!1

Allyco Tue 10-May-05 21:27:43

when I failed first time I thought shit. Never mind will do better next time (although secretly felt like a right berk and very upset)

Second time had complete cowbag of a woman examiner. Did my reverse round corner thing and she said "do you kow you're on the pavement?" Well, fuck (actually I didnt I was so scared). Got very upset when failed and said sod it am not doing it. DJH and driving instructor both said yes you will do it if for nothing else think of how much it's cost you (that was true).

I know peole say relax and it'llsoon be over and all that crap but was the scariest thing I ever did and when I see learners I think thank god that's not me. However, I am always v v patient when behind them anbd give plenty room and don't lose my temper when they stall etc like some arseholes do.

My driving instructor did once tell me that if you ask someone how many tests they took and they say well of course I pased first time you only have their word for it......

When exactly is your test if you can bear to talk about it?!

Allyco Tue 10-May-05 21:28:53

BTW I used to live in London and went regularly to Southend.

Learnt to drive in Newcastle though.

emily05 Tue 10-May-05 21:31:18

I know what you mean about the money. This is what keeps me going on it. I have spent so much money on lessons that it would be stupid not to do my test. It the 8th of June. It seemed such a long way away and now it is getting closer! my driving instructor is on holiday at the moment (not good planning on my part!).

emmamama Tue 10-May-05 21:35:22

Bachs Rescue Remedy did the trick for my mother (7th attempt).

Reckoned she was shaking so badly on previous attempts that her foot kept giving out in stationary traffic and stalling the car.

Prufrock Tue 10-May-05 21:47:50

I recently passed on my third attempt. (Though I should have passed on my second - examiner thought i pulled out on a roundabout without looking - actually I did see the van but was sure I had time to go)
I hesitate to say this, but you probably will fail this time. Passing your driving test really has nothing to do with how good a driver you are, but is more about how calm you can remain during a test. I found my first one the most nerve-wracking experience of my life. BUT. Once you have done it once, you will be nowhere near as nervous second time around, so will more than likely pass really easily. And once you have passed, whether that be 1st, 2nd or 3rd time, your life will be so much easier.

Good luck

Evesmama Tue 10-May-05 22:00:13

im about to embark on my fourth
ive also heard bach rescue remedy works?, i think whatever gives you the confindense will work, even if it is in our minds

best of luck

just remember to think about what your doing, make sure you look round lots when doing manouvers and the hardest thing of all....prove to him you CAN drive!

Evesmama Tue 10-May-05 22:01:13

my first two - totally agree with fail
last two - nasty examiners who have obviously already passed their quota

WestCountryLass Tue 10-May-05 23:26:18

Tomazepan! (sp?) Worked wonders...

Allyco Wed 11-May-05 12:28:46

prufrock, am with you. When I passed I realised I couldn't really drive at all, all I'd been doing was learning how to do things to get me through it. I think the real learning comes when you're on your own. yes, it's a lot to do with how calm you stay I think.

Emily - agree you must keep looking around so that the examiner SEES you look. I always thought that was stupid but if you just flick your eyes about they don't catch it and may think you haven't looked when you know you have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now