Talk

Advanced search

LaserQuest - anyone been?

(11 Posts)
marthamoo Tue 10-May-05 15:34:11

Ds1 (8) has been invited to a LaserQuest birthday party. I'm a bit worried about it but he is desperate to go. How exactly does it operate? From the website it looks like you are shut into a dark, maze-like assault course and just run round shooting other people. He's scared of the dark...am I being a Mother Hen? Are there responsible adults in there keeping an eye on things if the younger kids get frightened? I am being a Mother Hen aren't I?

What happened to jelly and ice-cream and Pass the Parcel?

FLUM Tue 10-May-05 15:36:45

I've done it yeah, darkened (not pitch black) lots of places to hide. you shoot with a gun it fires red laser. bleeps when you die.

most self respecting 8 year olds would love it. they have 'marshalls' in there too.

anchovies Tue 10-May-05 15:39:05

I used to work at laser quest. It is quite dark and potentially scary for young children to be honest. There will be staff/parents in the base but no staff inside unless the parents play (I would have thought they will) so they will keep an eye on things. When you say scared of the dark, how scared do you mean? Its not pitch black but quite dark with green laser lights. Its very exciting though and I can see why he wants to go!

marthamoo Tue 10-May-05 15:41:11

Well, he sleeps with the light on (main overhead light) and when we have had power cuts he has been hysterical. But maybe with his friends there he will be OK?

LeahE Tue 10-May-05 15:42:58

As others have said, it's not completely dark -- you can certainly see your way around and see other people. If you think he'd be OK with that then I would let him go. It's very popular with 8-year-olds judging by the number of them who have inflicted ignominious defeat upon me.

anchovies Tue 10-May-05 15:49:02

Does he know it's dark? If so, he still wants to go and he's with his friends I'm sure he'll be fine. It doesn't go dark IYKWIM, you go in. So he wouldn't have to go in if he didn't like it.

marthamoo Tue 10-May-05 15:54:06

Yes, I've told him it will be dark - and he wavered for a moment then said "but I really want to go."

He can go - but I'll fret a bit, you know, like you do

Janh Tue 10-May-05 15:58:50

Could you take him and show him, moo? Ring up and ask!

DS2 had his party there last year when he was 11 - fantastic fun, roaring success, they all loved it (DH made up the numbers and I think he liked it as well!) and I bet yours will too but see if they will let him have a look inside before he makes up his mind.

Janh Tue 10-May-05 16:00:30

In a power cut at home it is always pitch black because all the street lights etc are off too - also the very idea is a bit scary, you know, will it ever come back? Are we powerless (pun)? So I wouldn't go by that.

marthamoo Tue 10-May-05 16:03:35

The only thing is that it's a bit of a trek to get there, Jan - not sure if he's going to the one at the Trafford centre or the one at Parrs Wood in S. Manchester (they are taking them in a minibus). I will let him have a look at the website and I will have a quiet word with the birthday boy's Mum I think.

Dh will go "oh FGS - he'll have a great time, stop fussing!"

anchovies Tue 10-May-05 19:41:08

Where are you marthamoo? I used to work at the one in stockport superbowl! Have been to the one at parrs wood recently!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now