Talk

Advanced search

safety concern with furniture - should I buy a tall book case?

(11 Posts)
BarbaraX Tue 10-May-05 11:59:19

I am not sure if it is a goog idea to buy a tall bookcase with drawers at the bottom, or any tall bookcase, to place in the living room. I have this vision of dd climbing on the shelves/pulling drawers and the whole thing toppling over.

dd, who is 2, has already tried to kill herself by pulling out all the drawers from her chest, and of course the whole thing fell on top of her...

am I too paranoid?

any advice?

fuzzywuzzy Tue 10-May-05 12:00:49

Would you be able to fix the bookcase to the wall so she couldn't pull it down on herself??? I've sworn off anything with drawers my dd loves opening and emptying them....

serenity Tue 10-May-05 12:01:48

The best thing to do is get an 'L' shape bracket and secure any tall or heavy furniture to the wall to prevent accidents. You'll find that many bookcases etc come with one of these already.

HTH!

pleaserewind Tue 10-May-05 12:02:37

could you buy it and fix it to the wall? ds2 pulled his wardrobe on top of himself once as he was trying to reach something from the top shelf and we got some fixings after to attach it firmly to the wall.

Chandra Tue 10-May-05 12:03:05

No, you are not being paranoid, that's the reason why most tall bookcases come with a fabric tape that you screw to the wall and the top of the bookcase. You can get a metal "L" from B&Q and get them screwed to the wall even if the tapedoesn't come with them. HTH

Chandra Tue 10-May-05 12:03:28

oops crosposted !

piffle Tue 10-May-05 12:06:32

All ours are fixed with an L bracket that Ikea supplied with it. Took dh one second to do and rest our minds now

RTKangaMummy Tue 10-May-05 12:19:19

Deffo use L brackets

We used them on DS wardrobe as well

BarbaraX Tue 10-May-05 12:22:27

Thank you so much!!! I will fix it to the wall! I will ask the diy shop on how to do this bracket/fixing thing. I will have to do it myself unfortunately

Marina Tue 10-May-05 12:27:44

Barbara, B & Q do leaflets which show how to do this.

moondog Tue 10-May-05 12:29:13

Yes fix it barbara! I remember a neighbour's child being killed in this way when I was about 5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now