Talk

Advanced search

Is it illegal?

(12 Posts)
nappyaddict Mon 08-Jun-09 10:36:15

To use someone elses credit card with their permission?

saggyhairyarse Mon 08-Jun-09 12:51:19

I don't think so but I don't know.

I have used my husbands to buy stuff online. I have also used his debit card to pay for groceries when mine was being replaced as you don't sign anymore (but think it would have been tricky if they had noticed I was a Mrs and not a Mr).

trixymalixy Mon 08-Jun-09 13:02:57

I think you have to be the cardholder to use it.

It's certainly a breach of their agreement with their bank if they tell you their PIN number.

bethoo Mon 08-Jun-09 13:05:03

my partner uses mine.

Seona1973 Mon 08-Jun-09 14:04:38

you can get multiple cards for 1 account so you should use a card that is in your name (you have a principle card holder who is responsible for the account and then you would have additional card holders - all purchases will be recorded to the one account). It will be against the terms and conditions to use a card in someone elses name.

anxmum Mon 08-Jun-09 14:06:08

Agree with Seona. If this is going to be a regular thing, just arrange for a second card. It's what I do, buy stuff and the account goes to dh to pay.

nappyaddict Mon 08-Jun-09 14:19:28

I know it's against the T&Cs but can you actually get in trouble with the police for it?

onagar Mon 08-Jun-09 14:23:37

Unless the cardholder complained I think the police would not be interested. However technically I suppose you are pretending to be the cardholder at the checkout so at a stretch that could be illegal.

Doubt if anyone would really care, but get a second card to be safe.

littleducks Mon 08-Jun-09 14:26:34

I often use dhs and dh uses mine, i dont think its illdegal as you arent impersonating your partner or stealing their money, we have seperate accounts soi a second card wouldnt be helpful

MerlinsBeard Mon 08-Jun-09 14:31:12

yes it is. its not YOU so as far as the law is concerning it's theft

littleducks Mon 08-Jun-09 21:01:05

really? i thought the def of theft was 'illegal taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given consent.'

i have had refunds put onto dhs card (you have to put PIN in now used to sign my name) by most major retailers and they always check the name when refunding, never had a prob with it being "my husbands card"

Rhubarb Mon 08-Jun-09 21:04:01

If you have a credit card just in your name, then really by law, only you can use it. If it is in both your names, then you can both use it.

However, if the said credit card is attached to a joint account, then the other account holder can use the card, if that makes sense.

Unless you've specifically asked the bank to block your other half from using your credit card.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now