Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Red/White/Rose? What nice wine would you recommend?

(29 Posts)
SPARKLER1 Mon 09-May-05 21:21:31

Just sipping on a rather nice glass of Pino Grigio white wine. Very nice. Usually a red wine person but could get used to this one.

Janh Mon 09-May-05 21:22:45

Heavy reds for me - Shiraz etc. White wine gives me a terrible headache (don't understand it but there you go!)

Aero Mon 09-May-05 21:23:29

I'm rather partial to most Merlots.

moondog Mon 09-May-05 21:24:09

I've decided I drink and spend far too much on wine so have stopped! It's been 3 weeks now!
(Mind you,not too hard in near teetotal eastern Turkey!!)

SPARKLER1 Mon 09-May-05 21:26:11

JanH - I'm exactly the same. White wine gives me terrible hangovers that's why I tend to drink red most of the time. I can go out and drink red wine all night and I will be fine the next day, white wine just puts me in bed all day and knocks me out for days afterwards.

wheresmyfroggy Mon 09-May-05 21:26:25

Pinot grigio! nice

Am sitting here with dw drinking a bottle of freixnet

So it's white for me

mancmum Mon 09-May-05 21:27:00

tim adams riesling.... gorgeous and hangover free... I only need look at red wine to be in ICU!!

hotmama Mon 09-May-05 21:27:12

I'm a bit of a New World red girl so any Penfold/Hardy's stuff. Fave at the moment is Wolf Blass Yellow Label - I stock up when Sainsbury's have offers on.

Don't usually have white wines but when I do I quaff Pinot Grigio - must have similar palates.

ambrosia Mon 09-May-05 21:28:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Socci Mon 09-May-05 21:28:32

Message withdrawn

moondog Mon 09-May-05 21:28:45

Freixenet!! That gives you a head in the morning! Anyone noticed that hangovers become a million times worse the older you grow? Even 2/3 glasses and I feel it the next day (more's the pity!)

wheresmyfroggy Mon 09-May-05 21:32:15

Moondog-we are wetting the babies head (bit skint so replaced the Dom P with friexnet )

as for hangovers, freixnet doesn't seem to hit me as much as other sparkling/champagne

wheresmyfroggy Mon 09-May-05 21:33:45

doh baby's head

moondog Mon 09-May-05 21:38:28

Ahhhhh,that's nice wmf!!
(Aren't you lockets' dh-think I learnt that yesterday?)
Congratulations!

Janh Mon 09-May-05 21:41:05

Do they not drink at all there, moondog, or do they have a version of arak/raki/some other vile spirit?

compo Mon 09-May-05 21:42:16

I prefer white to red as red gives me a headache and is too full-bodied - makes me feel too full up and always stains my lips so makes me paranoid I look like a clown - lol
I like Chenin Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc, Coldwater Creek, Pinot Grigio and I do like rose wine too. Unfortunately we're on a tight budget at the moment so I go for the £3 mark in Asda - ususally something nice on special offer.

wheresmyfroggy Mon 09-May-05 21:43:14

Yes I am moondog

foxd Mon 09-May-05 21:44:05

Red is lovely, someone bought me a bottle of Blossom Hill and it was gorgeous!!!! Very bad head the next day

hotmama Mon 09-May-05 21:45:13

Congratulations Lockets/wheresmyfroggy! For future reference get some strawberries in (O.K not the season at the moment). Any sparkling wine stuff with strawberries in tastes fab - and then you get to scoff wine infused strawberries.

It's not getting older with me it's having had a child - I can drink 3 glasses tops - then I fall asleep - which isn't necessarily a bad thing - have only had one hangover when looking after dd - never again and she is an angel!

moondog Mon 09-May-05 21:47:35

Not much janh,more in the east.
Preety hard here to find a restaurant that serves booze unless you want a full-on dining experience alone in an echoey hotel dining room surrounded by 12 white gloved waiters!!!
Not quite the thing when you just want a cold beer to accompany a kebab!
Yes,they sell booze,included raki (shudder) in the shops though).
Quite interesting to have an alcohol free stretch...

Wmf,the complex labyrinth that is MN is slowly making sense...(only then did I realise you were a bloke!) Are you cracking open a second bottle 'cos that will give you a head!

PuffTheMagicDragon Mon 09-May-05 21:51:48

Red wine - Nuit St Georges or a good rioja

White wine - Like ones from New Zealand - Cloudy Bay? vineyard.

Champagne - yum. Some of the Californian ones are excellent too.

Unfortunately, my head starts pounding after 2 glasses these days!

moondog Mon 09-May-05 21:53:13

Was it you who stopped drinking for ages and lost loads of weight,Puff?

PuffTheMagicDragon Mon 09-May-05 21:57:25

yeah - weightloss can be so bittersweet! .

I'm gonna have me a bottle of Nuit St Georges when I hit my target weight though and to hell with the consequences!

BTW (she hastily adds) I wasn't a lush, but found that like bread, even a small amount of alcohol has a disproportionate effect in terms of the poundage I gain because of it!

moondog Mon 09-May-05 21:59:53

Oh no no no !!
Not suggesting your consumption was 'de trop' m'dear!!!

You're obviously a woman of taste then?

compo Mon 09-May-05 22:00:13

I hate the fact that if I gave up my wine habit I would probably weigh 9 stone again. But in the past when i've given up I usually eat more to compensate!!! I also love Cava

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now