Talk

Advanced search

Shocked by the number of people who didn't bother to vote yesterday...

(15 Posts)
MrsMerryHenry Fri 05-Jun-09 09:49:11

I went to the polling station very late last night, just 20 mins before closing.

There's been a widely-publicised anti-BNP campaign in this area in the last few months, so I'd have thought that that, if nothing else, would have helped shift voter laziness apathy.

However, when I got there, only about 5 names were crossed out on one whole sheet of A4. I asked what turnout was like: they said about 550 people in our ward had bothered to vote. That's about the number of people that live on my street, let alone the whole ward.

sad

Stretch Fri 05-Jun-09 09:53:26

I know, the woman looked very surprised to see us when we turned up to vote. Although, DH said he wouldn't have bothered to vote if it wasn't for the earache he'd get off me! sad

He said they ought to put more polling stations in pubs to see if that encouraged people. He may have a point, as I remember my parents takng us to the local polling station and being allowed a coke (deprived child!!) It seemed more of a social thing.

zippy539 Fri 05-Jun-09 09:53:35

I'm curious to find out what the turn-out figures are. I was out shopping with Dc's yesterday and shop assistants kept asking why they weren't at school. When I explained it was because the school was being used a polling station for the elections I got loads of really blank looks - like no one was aware there were any elections on! I wondered if it was because we only had Euro elections here not local ones - but was a bit shock.

DeepGoat Fri 05-Jun-09 09:56:00

it was serious tumbleweed territory at my polling station. maybe everyone did it by post [clutching at straws emoticon]

PortAndLemon Fri 05-Jun-09 10:46:40

We only had Euro elections here and there has been AFAICS NO local publicity. No leaflets, no canvassers, no stickers in windows.

twoluvlykids Fri 05-Jun-09 10:54:10

I wanted to go, but am fairy immobile at the moment with back pain, so sadly couldn't make it.

DH went though.

MrsMerryHenry Fri 05-Jun-09 13:38:12

Stretch - ditto here re giving DH earache. I forced him out of the house with 10 mins before closing! I threatened that he'd be in the shit if the BNP got in on one vote!

wasabipeanut Fri 05-Jun-09 13:42:11

it was tumbleweed central when I went in about 5.30 and when dh did at 7.30.

Bloody amazing really when you consider how up in arms everyone has been about expenses. Still obviously not outraged enough to get off their arses and vote for someone else. OK, it was local or Euro elections but you would assume people would want their say.

MrsMerryHenry Fri 05-Jun-09 13:48:18

How sad that people get riled...and then sit on their arses.

Out of interest I tried a wasabi peanut yesterdat for the first time, wasabipeanut. Fierce...then crunchy and rather nice. Bit too strong on the nose, though, I'll stick to the gentler versions in future!

ohdearwhatamess Fri 05-Jun-09 13:50:36

Very high turnout here. Over 50% had voted by 3pm (half of those were postal votes though); expect there would have been lots more coming after work.

wasabipeanut Fri 05-Jun-09 13:54:00

MrsMerryHenry they are pretty hardcore. I can eat quite a few then all of a sudden will get that burning sensation in the nose!

I used to enjoy them with a gin but no more as am up the duff again!

onagar Fri 05-Jun-09 13:55:41

Well taking the expenses as an example there is no way to vote against that since they all did it.

If more people voted because there were polling booths in pubs that would worry me. That would mean they wanted a party, but couldn't be bothered to vote if it was inconvenient. A lot of people see no one to vote for.

Imagine just as an example if your only choice was BNP and another party just like it. Would you vote for one just to use up the vote?

MrsMerryHenry Fri 05-Jun-09 14:04:43

What a horrible thought. Surely there's nowhere in the country where they only have a choice like that, onagar?

onagar Fri 05-Jun-09 14:08:18

Well I really hope not, but the principle works that if there is no good candidate it would be a shame to vote for one just to be able to say you voted.

I hope that IS the reason many don't vote and not because they are lazy

MrsMerryHenry Fri 05-Jun-09 14:10:47

When I voted last night there was a choice of about 20 candidates. It's certainly not the excuse in my ward. Just laziness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now