Talk

Advanced search

silly question - do you need a passport to go to Dublin from England??!

(27 Posts)
dot1 Sun 08-May-05 10:04:08

that's it really...

milge Sun 08-May-05 10:05:19

I would say yes, as Eire is a seperate country, not part of the UK. A bit like going to france, i guess, you need a passport, even though it probably won't be checked.

Twiglett Sun 08-May-05 10:05:21

NO

Twiglett Sun 08-May-05 10:06:38

no no no there's a special agreement between eire and UK

they'll just take a photo of you at the airport that gets logged on to your ticket

but don't forget if you're getting a car to take BOTH parts of your licence

suzywong Sun 08-May-05 10:06:40

No

Ameriscot2005 Sun 08-May-05 10:08:41

If you are British or Irish, then no, because it's part of the Common Travel Area. If you have a different citizenship, then you should carry your passport (it's unlikely they will check it though).

milge Sun 08-May-05 10:09:32

ah, interesting. I stand corrected.

Janh Sun 08-May-05 10:27:08

If you are flying there the airline will need photo ID.

gloworm Sun 08-May-05 14:32:48

i'm irish and my dh is english, we live in Ireland and he travels over to England quite often. You definatly do not need a passport, however some airlines such as ryanair are very strict about photo ID and a passport is usually a good proof of ID.
Check with the airline you are travelling with.

dot1 Sun 08-May-05 21:45:54

so if I was taking my 3 year old, we would need a passport for him, as I haven't got any kind of photo ID??

Janh Sun 08-May-05 21:51:53

If you're flying then I think you will, dot. If you go by ferry then you're OK. (I think!)

dot1 Sun 08-May-05 22:06:13

flying - Ryanair are doing flights for 99p! Just thought it would be a lovely day trip thing to do (we're in Manchester), but dp's grumbling about the environment, and none of us have got passports so it's probably a no go..!

Aero Sun 08-May-05 22:10:53

Agree with gloworm. You won't need a passport as such, but you will probably require some acceptable kind of photo ID e.g. a passport or driving licence. Check the airline's website for ID they will accept. HTH

Janh Sun 08-May-05 22:15:31

Anyway have you checked out the taxes? They usually amount to about £20 each, each way...

LGJ Sun 08-May-05 22:23:52

JanH

Still cheaper than taking a bus I reckon

BTW, I hate Michael O'Leary of Ryanair, but can swallow my hatred to take his cheap flights

pixiefish Sun 08-May-05 22:28:16

I used to go to Ireland by ferry quite often and no passport or id was ever asked for

Mercedes Sun 08-May-05 23:11:52

We use Ryannair a lot and they defintely require you to have photo id even when you're travelling in Britain. They will not let you travel without this - including kids.

You will also need photo id for your children and by law they can't be on their parents passport anymore.

BA also asked us for photo id when we flew London-Manchester last month.

mishmash Sun 08-May-05 23:20:06

Dot - what is wrong with DH and the environment?

wordsmith Sun 08-May-05 23:42:33

No you don't need a passport. However some friends of mine flew to jersey from Coventry last week and were told at check in that they needed phot ID. They had to rush into town to get a bus pass!

Shows how long it is since I've flown, I knew nowt about needing a photo ID for internal and Eire flights.

Janh Mon 09-May-05 10:51:09

mishmash, flying is very polluting (and airlines don't pay the kind of punitive taxes on fuel we do for cars) so flying on a whim is a bit naughty.

But then the plane will fly whether you're on it or not...

biglips Mon 09-May-05 10:55:05

deffo no as we went 2 years ago and DP didnt even own a passport till last year when we went on a cruise

Janh Mon 09-May-05 12:46:10

They've changed the regulations though, biglips - it's an anti-terrorism measure - not sure when it was introduced.

Mosschops30 Mon 09-May-05 13:04:53

Message withdrawn

tarantula Mon 09-May-05 13:05:48

I think it depends on which airline you are flying with as Aer Lingus only require photoid for adults and will accept a bus pass as id. British Midland will accept work id and neither of these airlines require photoid for kids. I havent flown Ryanair recently as they are crap and I hate them and AL and BM are cheaper from London anyway.

I did have fun last Christams tho when got to Ireland and the guy at the passport desk asked for our passports and I only had mine and dps. He wanted to see dd's and I said that she didnt have one and didnt need one. He said that the rules had changed but hed let me through this once (too bloody right). Not sure what planet he was operating on cos the rule hasnt changed at all.

tarantula Mon 09-May-05 13:10:40

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now