Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone with / had a tongue piercing and can remember the swelling!

(25 Posts)
jofeb04 Sun 31-May-09 16:24:01

Hiya,

Had my tongue pierced friday mid-day, and it is still swollen (which I knew would be!). But, how long does it last for? Swelling is slowly going down, having ice-cubes, ice-cream and cold drinks etc.

Please tell me it won't be too long now! I can't bloody eat, keep on biting my tongue or the ball!

Thanks

jofeb04 Sun 31-May-09 18:52:32

lottiebunny Sun 31-May-09 18:56:20

It took ages for the swelling to go down, at least a week IIRC. Did your piercer tell you when you could put a smaller bar in? That will give you an indication of when he thinks the swelling should be gone.

jofeb04 Sun 31-May-09 18:57:20

Have to go back on Friday (so a week!).

Sick of having soup!

lottiebunny Sun 31-May-09 19:02:15

I found things that could be kept to the side of the mouth while eating like chips were easier to eat.

Try really hard not to bite the ball, my brother cracked a tooth in half doing this.

Meglet Sun 31-May-09 19:09:33

I survived on chocolate milkshakes for about 5 days.

I cracked one of my teeth after 4 months, i took it out after that as I didn't want to risk any visible damage.

jofeb04 Sun 31-May-09 19:11:10

I should be ok with the biting issue! Chips are do-able (as long as there is no salt on them as I noticed earlier!).

Chocolate Milkshakes is a good idea

Thanks for the tips.

lottiebunny Sun 31-May-09 23:46:20

Be prepared for your dentist to make loud clucking noises of disapproval at your next appointment by the way. Ever since I had mine done, my dentist has been telling me horror stories about chipping all the enamel off the back of my teeth.

I've only just taken mine out after 4 years because I'm about to start applying for graduate jobs and I've had negative comments at past interviews.

I've only bitten my ball a few times but would recommend getting a plastic ball and bar set when your piercing is properly healed. Something like these as it lessens the chances of damaging your teeth.

completelyabsolutely Mon 01-Jun-09 12:20:18

I think I went back in after a week and had the smaller bar put in so it must have just about gone down by then.

Eating does get doable really quickly but I am another person that took mine out after cracking a tooth whilst eating - I now have a nice gap where one of my pre molars should be.

You can also get a clear plastic bar that has a small flat top and a black elastic type thing at the bottom to hold it in if you need to hide it for any reason - like an interview, I can't think of the name of it but they should sell them in the place you had it done.

completelyabsolutely Mon 01-Jun-09 12:22:20

www.jobananas.com/clear-acrylic-tongue-piercing-retainer-pr-16281.html

Like this

UndertheBoredwalk Mon 01-Jun-09 12:25:47

Yes should be down by 1 week after. I had my small bar put in after a week too.
Not all dentists disapproving btw, my dentist is fascinated by mine grin I took it out before my last appointment and he was disappointed, asking where it was cos he wanted to show the other dentist! I don't think he'd seen one before lol

lottiebunny Mon 01-Jun-09 12:33:52

You wait until he sees a few tongue stud chips then he'll get all disapproving on you wink

mamanut Mon 01-Jun-09 16:17:22

I had a medium bar after 1 week and the small one a week after that. The first week is the worst the bar was too big for my mouth so had to lay backwards which cut in - ouch! I survived on chips too.

I've had mine done 10 years now and no dentist has ever moaned about mine, but then mine hasn't damaged my teeth!

Tip: Brush the back of your toungue!

jofeb04 Mon 01-Jun-09 18:01:28

Thanks for the tips..really appreciate it.

Loving the ice-cubes and ice-cream though, this weather is perfect to have the piercing done! Swelling is going down slowly, still gag everynow and again though (normally in the morning!).

One thing, I've got some sort of ulcer on the bottom of my tongue, and it hurts. Anything I can use or take for it?

lottiebunny Mon 01-Jun-09 18:26:53

Can't really help with the ulcer. Have you been rinsing etc properly as told by your piercer?

jofeb04 Mon 01-Jun-09 18:31:28

Yep....finding it annoying mind, but doing it. Was told that it might happen, it does to some and not to others.

But it hurts!

Can't wait for this big bar to removed either.

HarleyQuinn Mon 01-Jun-09 18:37:39

completelyabsolutely Thankyou for the site link, Ive been looking for those type of ones for a while! smile

completelyabsolutely Wed 03-Jun-09 10:10:46

Harleyquinn - you are most welcome grin

jofe - I think I remember being told (t'was 10 years ago now sad ) to rinse my mouth with a dilute solution of hydrogen peroxide - yes the stuff used to bleach hair. You can buy it in most chemists and it has instructions on the back for making up as a mouth rinse. Tastes foul but seemed to do the job.

I also second the tongue brushing - it gets furry!

I can't think of any reason that you couldn't use something like ansebol (sp?) on it to ease the pain.

jofeb04 Wed 03-Jun-09 12:54:18

CA, can't believe they told you to rinse your mouth out with that.

Swelling has gone down, so have had a smaller bar changed.

Speech is still really odd, anyone had problems with that before? Hasn't been a week yet though.

jofeb04 Wed 03-Jun-09 12:55:04

CA....just read that back, sounds like I don't belive you.

I can believe it, but can't iyswim!

HarleyQuinn Wed 03-Jun-09 14:19:57

Jofeb04 - yeah I had odd speech with mine, just try not to have long conversations with anybody for a while! grin

jofeb04 Wed 03-Jun-09 14:24:23

Lol @HQ. How long did it last for? I'm struggling with "L's"

HarleyQuinn Wed 03-Jun-09 17:47:40

So did I! hmmm mine lasted about two weeks, but once everything is settled you should get all the speech back fine smile

jofeb04 Wed 03-Jun-09 18:46:02

Thanks for that....the thought of not talking properly fills me with dread! The dc have loved it though...
Me: Ds, can you do this for me?
Ds: what did you say mam?

Repeated since friday lol.

HarleyQuinn Wed 03-Jun-09 23:22:12

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now