Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please can we have an 'opt in' and hide the mccann threads?

(16 Posts)
stroppyknickers Thu 28-May-09 09:51:54

I know I don't have to read them, but I find it hard to believe that I am on a parenting forum where some people feel it is okay to theorise and abuse other parents whose daughter is missing. There seems no room for reasonable debate - what is there to debate anyway? Endless 'Did they do it?' 'Aren't they cold?' etc etc. I would rather pretend these threads didn't exists tbh.

AMumInScotland Thu 28-May-09 10:32:28

Well, you can hide them if you don't want to read them. Or read them and report them if people are being abusive. MN is full of stuff I don't want to read, and people giving opinions I disagree with or even find offensive. But if you make everything "opt-in", where does that leave you?

stroppyknickers Thu 28-May-09 19:16:27

i know, i just feel like this is such a neverending saga of attack, with no real debate or movement and i feel saddened to see that it still exists.

CurryMaid Thu 28-May-09 19:18:00

I feel sadder about the fact that she's still missing/dead than about what a bunch of heartless cows on here have to say about it.

stroppyknickers Thu 28-May-09 19:18:36

Goes without saying currymaid.

CurryMaid Thu 28-May-09 19:21:02

No point being on here if you don't like what other people think.

There's not usually a great deal of McCann debate anyway, it's just because of the 2 year anniversary and publicity that it's reignited again.

Also - what about newbies - how would that work then? How would they know they can't mention MM or had to opt in to talk about her? Sounds like a VERY weird form of censorship, if you ask me.

And it IS censorship, what you're asking for.

FabulousBakerGirl Thu 28-May-09 19:22:37

I think it is a bad idea.

Just hide them.

Not a huge amount of threads anyway.

If this is all you are bothered about - be glad.

stroppyknickers Sat 30-May-09 17:51:57

Obv that's not all I'm bothered about - how patronising! I try to address the issues that concern me and do what I practically can - shall I list everything that concerns me and then how I am reacting to it before raising any issues on mumsnet?

FabulousBakerGirl Sat 30-May-09 17:55:35

IYO it is patronising.

Wasn't meant that way.

nkf Sat 30-May-09 17:55:46

What's hard to believe about being on a forum where there is a wide range of views? Just don't look at threads you don't like.

Rhubarb Sat 30-May-09 17:59:05

I do agree. I find it very hard to see these threads and no matter how hard I try, I ultimately find myself getting involved because I just cannot believe that people can be so heartless towards a mother who has lost her child.

Yes, I agree we should be allowed to debate it, it's a free country etc etc. But Mumsnet is a parenting forum, there are mothers on here who may be suffering grief, there may be those who know the McCanns. Because of the sensitivity of the whole case, I would like to see an opt out system too.

I would hate it if, one day, Kate McCann were to come on Mumsnet and read all the accusations levelled against her.

FabulousBakerGirl Sat 30-May-09 18:27:15

And to that end I think they should be deleted at some point. If not now, when Madeleine is found.

stroppyknickers Sun 31-May-09 09:00:21

Thanks Rhubarb - that's kind if summed it up for me. It's not the wide range of views, it's the relentless airing of vitriol against the McCanns, with no 'debate' at all.

tiredemma Sun 31-May-09 09:04:24

I steer well clear of MM threads.

The speculation and hatred towards the parents is disgusting.

rasputin Sun 31-May-09 09:10:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoupDragon Sun 31-May-09 09:12:48

[shrug]

Just click "hide this thread". I'm not entirely sure what more you are after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now