Advanced search

Owed money - what to do?

(13 Posts)
koalabear Fri 06-May-05 10:32:14

Have been reading the "ripped off" thread, but didn't want to crash it with my own problems.

We had a kitchen fitted in January by a bespoke kitchen company in High Wycombe. We have two problems: 1. One of the drawers is faulty and needs to be fixed. 2. We paid for a specific number of metres of granite for the worksurfaces, but the central island was not installed, and so, one metre less granite was actually used than what we paid for.

We have called endlessly (over 25 phone calls since Janaury), but no one ever returns our calls or messages. All we want is someone to fix the drawer, and have our refund on the 1 metre of granite paid for but not supplied/used. The amounts to around £300.

Does anyone know if we are entitled to a refund for the unutilised granite? I was thinking of writing them a formal letter stating that if payment was not received we would proceed to the small claims court.

Any advice greatly received.

koalabear Fri 06-May-05 10:47:31


KBear Fri 06-May-05 10:49:29

Defintely write a strongly worded but polite letter stating exactly what you expect them to do and give him a reasonable time limit to respond. Add that after this time period you will be seeking recompense in the county court.

Or you'll send the bears round...

koalabear Fri 06-May-05 10:51:19

is the county court the small claims court?

KBear Fri 06-May-05 10:54:45

yes. I sued someone in the small claims court. It's a reasonably simple process. There is a lots of info if you google. I can't do links but happy to help you find out more.

koalabear Fri 06-May-05 10:55:11

have written letter - hope its "strong enough"

assumedname Fri 06-May-05 10:58:23

Definitely get something in writing to them, preferably by a solicitor.

We had a major problem with B&Q but at least they responded to our phone calls.

morningpaper Fri 06-May-05 11:00:42

Kitchen companies are notorious for ripping people off and then disbanding the company.

I would speak to your local Trading Standards office and explain it to them - you might be able to find out if there are any other complaints against the company and whether the company is still operating.

morningpaper Fri 06-May-05 11:01:13

I would try Trading Standards first before you wade in with a Solicitor becaue they can bear a bit of weight and they are also FREE.

assumedname Fri 06-May-05 11:02:57

Our first meeting with a solicitor was free.

KBear Fri 06-May-05 11:30:32

found this...

all you need to know about making a claim.

Good luck

KBear Fri 06-May-05 11:31:34

By the way, I sued in the small claims court without a solicitor, you don't need one. The forms are self-explanatory and why pay a solicitor to represent you when you can speak for yourself?

koalabear Fri 06-May-05 11:36:42

thanks very much for advice
have spoken the Trade Standards - they were great
will be sending letter - hopefully the claims court wont be necessary

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: