Talk

Advanced search

WWYD? Missing neighbours....

(14 Posts)
Naetha Sun 24-May-09 12:28:52

I'm a little bit worried about our neighbours - they're a youngish couple, but we haven't seen them for about 3 or 4 weeks now.

I knocked on their door nearly a month ago to let them know there'd been a break in in the area, but no reply (at 7:30pm on a week day evening, even though car was in the drive). Then about a week after that a delivery arrived, and was dropped off with me and a note put through their door. Not heard anything from them yet, although knocked on the door.

The car's in the drive, the curtains are all drawn, not sure what to do.

Is it worth contacting the police? I don't want to have their door bashed in if they've gone for a 6 week world tour...

MaureenMLove Sun 24-May-09 12:31:00

Do they usually speak to you? Does seem odd. Surely if they were going away for that long, they'd mention it to their neighbours. Can you speak to neighbours on the other side, to see if they know anything?

Tortington Sun 24-May-09 12:31:26

i would leave it much longer

Lulumama Sun 24-May-09 12:41:14

put a note through the door.

is there milk piling up outside?

i would ask any of the other neighbours if they know if they are away.

crokky Sun 24-May-09 12:48:52

My brother lives in a flat and he went away for 4 months (abroad) without telling any of his neighbours. I wouldn't panic yet!

bronze Sun 24-May-09 12:51:38

Does the delivery look like somethings been ordered?

Tinker Sun 24-May-09 13:05:00

Can you ring them?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 28-May-09 16:14:03

Does the house smell bad yet?

(I would put grin on the end, but that might be horribly inappropriate.)

Horton Sat 30-May-09 22:01:49

I would call the police, actually, and ask their advice. That's a long time. If they'd gone on a world tour, wouldn't they have driven to the airport?

onepieceofcremeegg Sat 30-May-09 22:04:43

The police can do a "welfare check". They may be able to get next of kin details etc. As a last resort they can break the door down if they have concerns.

However I would echo what others have said and speak to other neighbours etc. Can you see round the back of the house easily?

If I was going on a world tour I would leave the car at home, wouldn't want to pay the car park fees at the airport.

Horton Sat 30-May-09 22:07:36

Oh, that's true about the car park fees. Good point. But still, four weeks is ages. And the delivery is odd. If you were going away for four or five weeks, you probably wouldn't order stuff to be delivered in your absence.

onepieceofcremeegg Sat 30-May-09 22:09:15

Some deliveries aren't things that you have ordered yourself. Occasionally people send me presents or other things arrive unexpectedly. dh for example occasionally gets samples of gluten free food delivered that we haven't ordered.

missmama Sat 30-May-09 22:15:55

My parents are away at the moment, have been gone for 5 wks not due back for another 3.
Car is on the drive,curtains are drawn and electric is off at the mains. The neighbours one side were informed but not the other.

pavlovthecat Sat 30-May-09 22:20:30

On holiday? We went on holiday last year for 4 weeks, we did not take our car, airport charges too much.

Can't remember if we told our neighbours - we did on one side yes, think they were emergency for looking after the cats if our friends could not do it. But not the other, not sure we did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now