Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

v.cross-someone else got 'my' vote.

(13 Posts)
Mirage Thu 05-May-05 20:12:46

I am very very angry.Just been down to our local polling station with dh & dd,handed over the cards that I got sent,they crossed me off the list & wrote out my voting slips.As this was being done,a couple at the next table were sent over to where we were waiting,as they had gotten into the wrong queue,the wife of the couple handed both their cards over,was given both of their slips,went off to vote & wandered off.Her husband then,not realising that his wife had his slips too,put his hand out,was given MY slips & went off & voted too.All this time dh was trying to point out the mistake to the person administrating,but she ignored him.Luckily dh wasn't put off & kicked up a stink & they realised just in time to stop the guy in question putting the slips into the box.

However,they weren't really concerned & it was only dh shouting to the guy not to post the slips into the box,that made him stop-the administrators just sat there,saying that it didn't matter & that the cards were just there to prevent fraud.We both said that it did matter,it was my vote that the man had & his wife had therefore voted twice.No one seemed bothered at all & they actually let him go ahead & put them in the ballot box (shock).The whole time we were made to feel like trouble makers who were making a fuss about nothing.I did get to vote,but was very very cross.I always vote & have always had faith in the system,but if this can happen,despite all the security & us pointing out the error,I can understand why people are cynical about it all & don't bother.It does make a mockery of all the fuss over postal voting fraud if the administrators let this happen right in front of their eyes!

Freckle Thu 05-May-05 20:16:03

Whereas the staff at my polling station got very hot under the collar because the teller standing outside the door had asked for my number on my way in to the station and not on the way out. Apparently there are "very strict regulations governing this sort of thing". I still can't work out what difference it makes if she asks on the way in rather than the way out and I have the option of declining to disclose my number anyway.

Louise1980 Thu 05-May-05 20:18:40

I moved house and didnt have a card so when I went I just told them my name and old address. I might not have been me!

Piggiesmum Thu 05-May-05 22:28:01

Woman in front of us was told she was at the wrong polling station. When told where she should've gone, she said "I've just been there and they told me i had to come here"!. The administrator was very apologetic but couldn't/wouldn't let her vote. She was pretty peed off. Don't know if she went back to the proper place but wouldn't have blamed her if she just thought sod it and went straight home.

QueenEagle Thu 05-May-05 22:37:22

I am reliably informed by my dh (who stood during the 1997 local election) that the staff on the door who ask for your number on the card have absolutely no authority whatsoever. There is no reason for them to tick your name off the list at all and you are within your rights not to tell them apparently!

It begs the question really doesn't it - why are they there?

Tinker Thu 05-May-05 22:38:55

It is daft isn't it? Handed my card in and he then asked my name and address - which was on teh card in front of me. Why? Am I really going to mug someone for their card?

irishbird Thu 05-May-05 22:41:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

alibubbles Fri 06-May-05 12:46:15

I have done telling at polling stations in the past, queeneagle, the details are taken back to the relevant party committee rooms and ticked off, if they see you haven't voted and think you are a dead cert for their party, they come and offer you a lift to the polling station.

Gobbledigook Fri 06-May-05 12:49:34

They took my card and said 'are you Mrs X?'

Er, no, I nicked it but didn't bother to check the name out on the card. What???

Caligula Fri 06-May-05 13:15:38

I reckon there'll be loads of challenges. John Humphries and Mariella Frostrup were on Today this morning and their votes were nicked as well. That's only 2 famous people who have access to the media talking about it - how many normal people have had their votes stolen?

Janos Fri 06-May-05 13:40:31

Mirage I think you're right to be angry - I would be.

When DP and I went to vote yesterday (along with DS) we didn't take our cards as I had lost them. we just gave our name & address and were able to vote. It struck me that anyone could pretend to be me and take my vote. Or in fact I could take someone else's vote quite easily! I wouldn't ever do that but then not everyone is honest or scrupulous, are they?

Agree with Irishbird, some form of ID should be requested. As it happens, I did take ID but they didn't ask for it.

Ponka Fri 06-May-05 15:09:50

Mirage,

My blood is boiling reading your post. Not just because it would happen but mostly because they didn't treat it seriously when it did. I'm so glad you didn't just accept it. I can't believe that they didn't apologise!

Mirage Fri 06-May-05 15:47:47

Thanks-I'm still very cross & am going to complain to the returning officer at the local council.

And to think we have the cheek to send peace keeping forces out to other countries to check their voting procedures!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now