Talk

Advanced search

Coping with an Ill Child - How Do You Do It?

(8 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Thu 05-May-05 20:09:49

The title says it all, really. DS1 is ill, some sort of tummy bug. He's manageable, really, he's not vomiting, not had the runs too badly, but he's hot, sluggish, and unhappy. Oh, and whingy.

What do other mums do? I'm going bonkers, stuck in the house with him. He watches telly all the time while ill, which is fine, but if I have to listen to The Incredibles one more time, I will SCREAM.

How do other mums cope? I need to get out and see people! Luckily I was hosting a coffee morning this morning, but actually having people over was unwise, as DS1 got energetic, and I think knocked himself back a bit.

Posey Thu 05-May-05 20:35:56

Treat yourself to your favourite magazine and engross yourself in it to block out the video
Make the most of being able to sit down a bit more than normal.

Hope your little one is much better soon.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 05-May-05 20:43:08

I've spent so much time spacey lately I've bought all the rubbish magazines I can stand! I ended up buying the Economist, last time I tried, which turned out to be not that fluffy.

(Anyway, I can't get out of the house to buy magazines! I managed it today, thanks to our cleaner, but tomorrow I'll have to call in a favour from a friend to get out. I will go completely doolally.)

singyswife Thu 05-May-05 20:52:12

What age is he? Would he not be happy with a small saunter/pushcair ride round to the shop to pick up something he fancies for tea and a magazine for him. Even if it is only 10 minuites at least you will have been out for a bit. I am a great beleiver in get them dressed and get some air. Makes a world of difference. I know how you feel though. I have to DD and they have both been ill recently. It is a nightmare but the nightmare will pass and you will soon find yourself saying "oh god will you please just sit and watch a video and give me 5 minutes peace". Promise!!!!

NotQuiteCockney Thu 05-May-05 21:05:56

He's 3.5. He hasn't been in the buggy since he was 3, and if I want to put him in a buggy, I've got to wear DS2 on my back! Which isn't very tempting, although I should remember it's an option. I do have a v big three-wheeler.

lunavix Thu 05-May-05 21:10:25

I only really struggle when I'm ill too...

ds has only been really poorly twice (he's 13 months.) both times he's just sat on my lap, and sobbed. SO i usually put noddy or something on and we spend the day watching his favourite cartoons and having a cuddle.

Noddy and tweenies do my head in after a while...

darlingbud Thu 05-May-05 21:13:27

Poor you...It is hard but unfortunatley it comes as part and parcel of being a parent. I agree it is unwise to have people in the house whilst he is so ill but is there anyone who could go get you some books from the library or some magazines you would like? Or is there anyone who could sit with him for a couple of hours whilst you go out for a while just to get a break?

I hope he gets better soon and you can get back to normal.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 05-May-05 21:28:59

I think this is part of being a parent that I'm not very good at, at all. I'm fine with cuddling and being reasonably supportive, and fetching things, but staying in the house all day drives me mental. I guess I'll have to haul the backpack out tomorrow and jam DS2 in it, so we can all get some air ... or maybe I'll borrow a double buggy ... hmmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now