Talk

Advanced search

Furious with Tesco...............

(23 Posts)
Gwenick Thu 05-May-05 18:52:13

ordered my shopping yesterday to be delivered between 9-11am this morning. 11.15 came and still no sign of it (or as it says on the website a call to explain it would be late)- called customer service, who managed to get hold of the driver and said he'd be with me in about 15 minutes - true to his word he was there at 11.30, apologised for being late and was very helpful carrying my stuff in for me.........

Then he dropped the bombshell - he was late because of problems with the 'pickers' at the supermarket - and NONE of my chilled stuff was with my shopping (about 4/5 of my shopping is usually chilled!) it was coming in a seperate van and would be there in about 1hr...........

To which I replied - well sorry I'm OUT in 1hr's time (dropping DS1 at nursery) and then had stuff arranged for the afternoon so wouldn't be back until 3.15 - so could it be delivered about 3.30 - no problem he'd note it down.

3.30 came and went - 5pm arrived - still no shopping. Called customer service AGAIN, and was called back my a dopey bloke from the local store saying my chilled stuff was in the van and would be delivered BEFORE 7!!!! I explained that I needed to cook my children's dinner and that 7pm would be too late.........."sorry nothing I can do about it - he's delivery it as part of his normal run" (well sorry but shouldn't 'late' orders be given priority - I know I said 'after' 3pm - but I didn't mean whenever they felt like it!).

Anyhow, had to call DH to explain - even with my planned meal (pizza and garlic bread - my one 'lazy' meal of the week) it would be too late to cook it to be able to feed the boys before they became fractious with hunger - so he's calling at KFC on the way home to get a takeaway.

Meanwhile my shopping has JUST arrived (too late to tell DH to not bother getting the takeaway).............grrr all the delivery guy gave me as 'compensation' was a few extra Computers for Schools vouchers "as he knows I'm collecting them" grrrrrr

We REALLY can't afford to be buying takeaways at the moment.......................

ok rant over - DH is home

GeorginaA Thu 05-May-05 18:54:33

that's terrible.

Sainsburys promise to give you a £10 voucher if there as much as a minute late outside their agreed 1 minute time slot. Still not much compensation for being totally pissed about though, is it?

don't blame you for being furious... I'd be livid!

tiffini Thu 05-May-05 18:57:34

i have had the same problems with yhem lately, twice in a row, so have not ordered for a while.
If you dont order for a couple of months they send you a £10 voucher
Did they refund you your delivery charge, if not give them a call and tell them you are unhappy and ask for it to be refunded.

LGJ Thu 05-May-05 18:57:51

Oh come on Gwen..........................ick

Don't take this lying down, get on the phone tomorrow with notes and kick ass.

fisil Thu 05-May-05 18:57:58

That's why we left Tescos - we use Ocado now, and you don't get the same problems.

beansprout Thu 05-May-05 18:58:39

That's just crap. I would call them and demand better and talk about being v happy to go to Sainsburys! Do they really not offer any compensation?

Twiglett Thu 05-May-05 19:01:49

call tesco customer service and explain the problem and see what they do about it

they can refund the total cost / the delivery charge / whatever but you certainly deserve some kind of compensation

kaytee Thu 05-May-05 19:32:57

Try Ocado if they cover your area. They have 1 hour slots and are usually v. punctual. Lately there have been a few blips - they are busy opening a new warehouse. BUT they always phone if they are going to be late - or early which is sometimes great if you are in anyway! I got £10 off today, sometimes they give out chocolates or wine...Delivery free for £75+ (we are six so spending that amount is all too easy ).

hunkermunker Thu 05-May-05 19:34:14

Gwenick, definitely complain. In loud tones.

WigWamBam Thu 05-May-05 19:35:50

I agree that you should get onto the phone to customer services. They're normally pretty reasonable and should give you something off your shop - even if it's only the delivery charge.

clareren Thu 05-May-05 19:43:05

Hi Gwenick

I had a very similar problem to you with the Tesco on line service. The store that provided the shopping basically 'forgot' to let me know that there was going to be a long delay, and my shopping turned up three hours late!

Anyway, the van driver advised me to ring my local store and complain, which I duly did, and within two days I received a letter full of apologies plus £20 in vouchers and they also refunded the delivery charge.

I was still really peed off, but at least they did something! Maybe you could at least get something.....................

Good luck!!

Gwenick Thu 05-May-05 21:24:04

Thanks everyone - might give them a ring tomorrow - now I've had chance to calm down .

Have to admit the KFC was very nice (especially as I'd done HEAPS of ironing and housework today) but really wans't money we could 'afford' to spend

flashingnose Thu 05-May-05 21:28:20

I've also had this - get on to your local branch for results - the people in Dundee are very nice, but can't do more than apologise really. When my chilled stuff was missing, I got the manager to deliver it to me in his car !
Have to say they've pissed me off once too often though and I'm now trying Ocado.

lunavix Thu 05-May-05 21:28:52

Tesco have really peed me off recently.

On ds's birthday we arranged for shopping to arrive 9 - 11am as at 12 we were meeting friends then out all day.

No shopping by 12, was just about to phone when noticed letterbox propped open slightly, with a 'you weren't in' card. We bloody were, sitting on the sofa waiting!!!!!!!

Phoned, got told I wasn't in as he knocked twice, and went round the back to check if a car was there (which is was, jsut not in the drive though they said there was no car) and got told it was all my fault, if I wanted it it would come at 7pm.

Still fuming. That was 3 weeks ago!

snafu Thu 05-May-05 21:33:26

God, don't get me started on Tesco home delivery. They are all kinds of crap.

Had an account with them for a year or so, and then we moved. Placed an order on the website from the new place, then after I'd pressed 'send', realised that our old address was still on the account details. So rang customer services to tell them we'd moved and could it be sent to new address from now on. They took my credit card details again as a check and told me 'no problem whatsoever, madam'.

Delivery never turned up. So called customer services again only to be told that my account had been closed and I was no longer able to use Tesco online . Turns out that my new address was in an area 'well known' for fraudulent orders, and when I rang to 'suddenly' change my address, they closed my account, assuming I was trying pull a fast one. This despite me giving a perfectly valid credit card no. I ranted and raved at the supervisor for a good half hour, got an apology and a promise of a free bottle of wine if we reopened our account, happily told him where to shove it

pinkmama Thu 05-May-05 21:38:23

They turned up at mine on Tuesday without my chilled stuff. Customer services told me driver would ring to arrange to redeliver it, he never did. When I rang back customer services got the manager of the store to ring me. he couldn't have been nicer and 15 minutes later my food was here in a taxi. I do think you get better results if you can speak to the store rather than customer services.

Libb Thu 05-May-05 21:41:59

Tescos are useless and I have complained countless times. I would use another but they still seem to be the cheapest compared to my other options.

Their customer service is dire, you would think a supermarket with their profit would allow a margin for error.

When I used to be able to use Asda they were fantastic! a bit too good, I ended up with 34 eggs once (they broke 2 eggs in a pack of 12 so I mentioned it to the driver, they turned up with a replacement pack and another one free of charge - and a bunch of flowers! very impressive. Sadly they decided to stop the service.

motherofboys Thu 05-May-05 21:56:54

My Tesco deliveries are great! They have only made one mistake when they forgot my chilled stuff but I rang, they reimbursed me the price of the missing food and the delivery charge and redelivered the food exactly when I asked them too - I think it depends on your local branch tbh and Head Office is OK in my experience . you can change the local branch you get your deliveries from if you are in a big enough area I thnk ??

JiminyCricket Thu 05-May-05 22:06:40

Sainsbury's are cr*p too, especially at Christmas. And yes you get a ten pound voucher if they;'re a minute late, but that's also all you get if they're six or seven hours late (it was past my bedtime!!) and they didn't even reply to my e-mail complaint. At that point an online voucher isn't really worth it, because you don't want to use them again anyway.

lunavix Fri 06-May-05 10:27:47

JC - exactly. I tried them once after another rubbish Tesco delivery, we order a lot of fruit and veg and NONE of it was decent edible quality. The pineapple we ordered was squishy and mouldy and leaked rotten juice all over the other shopping. They were also 3 hours late. I got a £10 discount voucher, but never used it as I was just horrified.

Janna Fri 06-May-05 22:31:54

I had a shit delivery from tescos on tues funnily enough
For a start it was late then he gave me my shopping, he said I have to be quick now because it was raining and he was late. I went in, unpacked it, half the shopping was missing. I went mad, phoned them up and said this isn't on. All the bloke on the phone could say was sorry can't get hold of the driver so you'll have to get it delivered tomorrow at 7 pm. I said well thats no bloody good, I need whats missing for ds butties for school. He said 'well I'm sorry buts all I can do. Well they must have heard me shouting down the phone in the next village. He did refund my delivery charge though and half an hour later there was a knock on my door and it was the dopy delivery bloke with the rest of my shopping. He'd realised his mistake, came back and had the cheek to say to me 'you've made me late now for my next delivery!
I'm really wary about ordering from tesco#s again now.

pixiefish Fri 06-May-05 22:51:58

After several bad deliveries from Tesco I phoned them up to complain. The guy I spoke to told me it was up to me whether or not I found it convenient enough even with all the mistakes and it was up to me whether I used it or not.

I honestly felt he was telling me that he couldn't care less and if i didn't like it i could lump it. So i have- go t asda and morrisons now

JoolsToo Fri 06-May-05 22:52:59

I've no complaints - so far ...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: