Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Access to London Underground

(10 Posts)
hunkermunker Thu 05-May-05 12:32:36

My local station (Ruislip Manor) is undergoing a huge refurbishment. The platform is up about 40 steps, so what did I expect would be included in the refurbishment? A lift.

But no. Apparently Transport For London aren't installing a lift, despite campaigning.

I've just emailed them to ask why.

Access for disabled people and parents with pushchairs doesn't figure very highly on London Underground's radar, obviously

koalabear Thu 05-May-05 12:34:45

favour subject of mine here hundermunker

i asked a rather fit looking LU worker if he would mind helping me with the buggy up about 20 steps

the response was no, unless you take the baby out of the buggy

now, i realise this might have been policy for health and safety reasons, but there was NO WAY ON THIS EARTH that i was going to wake my sleeping four week old after taking three hours to get him to sleep

so he watched me stuggle up all 20 steps

what a gentleman

expatinscotland Thu 05-May-05 12:37:07

I thought they'd be under obligation to provided disabled access w/the new disabilities act? Surely they could be sued for that? That's absoltely outrageous that those who must use a wheelchair cannot use this station.

koalabear Thu 05-May-05 12:38:21

they probably have dispensation - cost too much money

hunkermunker Thu 05-May-05 12:42:03

KB! I have only had about three times when I've not had someone help me up or down the steps - I get out at Uxbridge usually which has no steps (bliss!).

Expat, they take the fines on the chin. They're not large enough fines to make them put lifts in all the stations.

There are very few accessible stations on the London Underground - the new part of the Jubilee line is accessible. This link has maps which show which stations are accessible. Not many in the grand scheme of things

Kelly1978 Thu 05-May-05 12:47:06

I daren't try and go into London any more. My buggy is too heavy to lift in any case. They really need to get their act together.

hunkermunker Thu 05-May-05 12:59:13

Whereabouts are you, Kelly?

Kelly1978 Thu 05-May-05 13:23:01

croydon. i used to go in before I got too heavily pg. Now I wouldn't get past Victoria!

jinglybits Thu 07-Jul-05 00:03:38

Dug up this old thread after another day of stressful exhursion on the underground . they're doing up wembley station too, i suppose they will fit a lift in there now with the olympics coming and everything. thought there were new laws governing public access for disabled people, am sure it was on the news a year or so ago! mind you, even when there is a lift they seem to be full of lazy people and i either have to squeeze in or wait ages for the next one...watford halequin is especially bad for this, i suppose people don't want to walk up and down from the car park but its really not that far! the few times i've beeen there at the weekend it takes forever to get in the lift with the buggy...but have now mastered the art of escalators although strictly speaking i don't think you're meant to take a buggy on them, according to the rule stickers on the side anyway! terrible news about ruislip manor hunkermunker, i really thought they'd be putting one in there, i'll lobby with you if you like! i'll bring a flask of tea and you bring the biccies! ...what we'll do is make everyone carry up a laden buggy...ooh! and some of them can do it in pregnancy suits just for good measure! ...or!! we could block the stairway completely and make them absail up the wall! that should stir things up a bit! when i used to have to go to ruislip i either got off at hillingdon/uxbridge and had to do an axtra bus journey or if i was running late just got off anyway and either got my baby out and dragged up the buggy or hoped on the kindness of strangers! ...now he's older he's usually awake so that isn't so much of a problem! or i can just about completely lift the lightweight stroller i've got now! can't wait until he can walk!...mind you that'll probably take forever to climb up the stairs! ...thankyou for anyone whose listened, rant over now!

Blondeinlondon Thu 07-Jul-05 09:51:05

There is a file you can download which lists how many steps in each station - quite handy - can't find the link just now

I've found people very helpful on the whole. Sometimes I just stand there and ask people, sometimes I pick up the buggy with DS in and lug the whole thing myself - depends how much shopping I've loaded it with!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now