Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ok some on please tell me in plain english how do planes stay up!! thank you

(114 Posts)
almostanangel Tue 03-May-05 14:05:10

dh did try blees him but it just goes over my head so pretend im 4 and explain why does an apple hit the floor if you drop it but a plane stays up!!

WigWamBam Tue 03-May-05 14:05:58

Apples don't have engines?

thedogmother Tue 03-May-05 14:06:19

It's all to do with the flaps on the wings and the way the wing is shaped and how the air passes over it.

DH has his PPL and has explained it to me several times. Think I just about understand now.

thedogmother Tue 03-May-05 14:07:36

might this help?

Tinker Tue 03-May-05 14:08:12

It's to do with teh engines creating air under teh wings. Something liek that.

emmatmg Tue 03-May-05 14:08:42

This question blows my mind too. I was talking about on here the other week, and about quicksand ie, why is it qick and why doesn't it go on and on and on, and those massive ships that planes land on, ie why don't the fall over.

I have a very little brain and it can't take this level of thinking.

baffling isn't it?

RnB Tue 03-May-05 14:09:19

Message withdrawn

FLUM Tue 03-May-05 14:09:33

well umm. its all to do with science and ermm physics. the hot air under the plane...... umm well the engines produce energy that blows out the back and lifts the..... ermmmm the wings cause....

never mind dear, look at the inflight magazine and see if theres anything you want to buy.

almostanangel Tue 03-May-05 14:11:05

emma!! i have a soul mate !! lol and you know the ship that the plane lands on ,,,why doesnt it sink!!.......thanks for all your help especialy the link ,,think i need to sit quietly and concentrate

thedogmother Tue 03-May-05 14:11:08

Mind you, I still don't fancy going on one of those big buggers they're building at the mo! I mean, FFS they're HUGE!

Don't even fancy going on a jumbo, they scare the heck out of me.

almostanangel Tue 03-May-05 14:11:58

flum pmsl....magazines !! you get magazines this trip may just be worth it lol...

almostanangel Tue 03-May-05 14:12:36

first flight in august am starting to worry now!

thedogmother Tue 03-May-05 14:13:41

You'll be fine, you know. First time always the worst, then you'll be an old hand.

thedogmother Tue 03-May-05 14:13:59

Where are you going btw?

spots Tue 03-May-05 14:18:14

I THINK... because the top of the wing has a curve on it but the underside doesn't, the air travelling over the top side goes more slowly (or is it more quickly?) That means there is less pressure on the top of the wing. So when the huge vast engines get going and the plane goes so, so fast over land it doesn't have any choice except to begin to rise into the sky.

Speaking as someone who also can't quite believe it's possible, and tried to find out! Am sure someone more learned will be along in a minute.

moondog Tue 03-May-05 14:18:20

emmamtg....very funny!
Just get stuck into the drinks' trolley.
My dh always asks for two of everything and they always oblige!

God, make Mr Moondog sound like a big drunken bloater don't I?!
He isn't honest, just flies a lot and has a very stressful job in the back of beyond.
Lives for a few glasses of wine on the way home.
Amount of time I've waited in Arrivals in Manchester for him to come lurching through......

emmatmg Tue 03-May-05 14:31:59

My Dh has expalined it a milliona dnone times and I still can't get it.

I mean, come on, those engines are only little really and the plane is SO big and then all the people inside with their baggage that's 10kgs over the allowed weight, it's probably gonna double the planes weight. HOW?????

I tell you want will really blow your mind AaA, go to a air show (we go to one every year and it's great) and watch a fighter/war plane, or such like hover totally stationary 15-20 metres from the ground and about 50-100 metres from where you're sitting and then watch it turn 360 degrees in that position before it flies off.

It it amazing and leaves me gobsmacked every time.

almostanangel Tue 03-May-05 14:34:26

thedogmother ,australia..please dont scream that loud,,,i know its my first flight though i should do the biggie and get it over with lol

almostanangel Tue 03-May-05 14:36:09

emma lol dh went to doxford last week went up in a tiger moth and came back down ..lol

Aimsmum Tue 03-May-05 14:37:08

Message withdrawn

roisin Tue 03-May-05 14:48:15

Aimsmum - LOL

almostanangel Tue 03-May-05 14:53:06

aimsmum ,,i just got up off the floor pmsl i now need a mop!!

Aimsmum Tue 03-May-05 15:04:31

Message withdrawn

HappyDaddy Tue 03-May-05 15:09:25

Cos they have wings, like birds. And apples don't, like cows.

TokenBloke Tue 03-May-05 15:17:58

Yeah - curved wings

air moves at different speeds over the straight line than the curved line (straight line is shorter distance)

Means that air pressure under the wing is greater than that below the wing

Provides a force pointing upwards

Pushes plane upwards

Plane flies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now