Talk

Advanced search

WORM FARM !!!!

(11 Posts)
crunchie Tue 03-May-05 12:56:13

Has anyone got one of these?? My girls are obsessed by worms at the mo - whenever we are doing teh garden they want the worms, they name them (!) and make 'houses' for them!!

I think they would love a kids worm farm that they could see througha nd see what worms do. Anyone got one of these??

handlemecarefully Tue 03-May-05 12:58:32

No but what a great idea. Mind if I copy?

roisin Tue 03-May-05 13:01:03

We got one - ds2 got it as a present for Christmas from Bright Minds

Tbh it wasn't that exciting! The best bit (for the kids I mean) was digging in the garden to find the worms!

Having said that it did have to compete against Triops which is what ds1 got from Grandma, and they were far more interesting .. especially when they started fighting and eating each other!

handlemecarefully Tue 03-May-05 13:08:00

or make your own

Click on the quart jar worm farm option

handlemecarefully Tue 03-May-05 13:11:09

Roison

What are triops? I've looked at your link and I'm none the wiser.

handlemecarefully Tue 03-May-05 14:21:14

can't believe that nobody else is interested in worm farms

roisin Tue 03-May-05 14:23:21

Triops are little swimming creatures - they look a bit like swimming woodlice. They have been around for millions of years, apparently, because they have a dormant phase. The eggs can survive - rather like seeds - for long periods, and only hatch out when the right conditions (water, light and heat) occur. They also have a very fast lifecycle - i.e. they grow very fast - which obviously helps them to survive. But also makes them fun for children - rather like sunflowers! They are fun to watch as well - rather mesmerising as they do somesaults in the water, swim upside down, etc.

Having said all that I was relieved when ours finally died! (Live up to 90 days).

HTH

handlemecarefully Tue 03-May-05 14:33:04

They sound rather interesting.

Why were you relieved when they pegged it?

roisin Tue 03-May-05 14:46:56

Well you have to keep cleaning the water and so on. But mainly because the 'tank' is quite big, and the only sensible place for it was on the coffee table in the lounge in front of the window, with a lamp on permanently. (They need light and heat). And I wanted my lounge back!

handlemecarefully Tue 03-May-05 14:52:26

Oh I see!

snailspace Tue 03-May-05 19:07:17

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: