Talk

Advanced search

fishy smell in the walls!

(11 Posts)
mousie Mon 02-May-05 19:38:21

Just hoping someone might have an idea that can help me. We moved into our house almost a year ago - at first there was this wonderful wood smoke fire smell through the downstairs - house has an open fire so i assumed it was residue of this - it smelt great, really good wood smell. However in the last couple of weeks this has been replaced by a really horrible fishy smell. I have smelt sockets, light fittings and radiators - but seems to be coming from within the walls, just not sure what it coule be - and whether it has anything to do with our earlier pleasant smell. Any electricians or people in the know out there?!

moondog Mon 02-May-05 19:43:56

Sounds bizare, but I have noticed a foul fishy smell (really!) when I have accidentally put in bulbs with too high a voltage for the light.
Check them. You never know!

Fran1 Mon 02-May-05 19:49:56

Is there wallpaper on the walls?

cos i always smell a fishy smell when stripping wall paper and i assumed its when the old paste gets wet. Could you have a damp patch anywhere?

Frizbe Mon 02-May-05 19:52:21

don't wanna scare you but fishy is nearly always electrical, can you get a wire finding device and check the walls concerned.....
or have you really upset someone/let child near fridge and they've hidden prawns in your radiator/curtain poles?!

jangus Mon 02-May-05 20:14:43

hi, just to say that we had the same problem and it was the lights... just change the fixings and the bulbs and it will all be sorted. It won't be all the lights, so you have to have a good smell up at them to see which ones need changed. Have fun!

SaintGeorge Mon 02-May-05 20:21:15

It was an electrical socket that did it in our house. Particularly awkward to track down because it was in the kitchen - so DH just kept blaming the smell on my cooking, cheeky sod!

mousie Thu 05-May-05 23:19:59

i have just got home from a rare cinema trip and the house reeks - i think it might be coming from the floor boards as well as the walls. feel i am going a bit mad here. could something dead (mouse or something) leave a fishy smell do you think? It is so specifically fish. ughhh. will need vicks on my nose before bed I think. yuk.

bubblerock Thu 05-May-05 23:24:51

Is it detached? In one of our old houses our neighbours were Indian and the spices they used to cook really permeated into our house.

Chandra Thu 05-May-05 23:27:25

HAve they opened a fish and chips take away around the corner? just kidding but check the lights

joash Thu 05-May-05 23:29:20

I would definately get your electrics checked out. I once rented a house and after a few weeks could smell something 'fishy' - I have a friend who's an electrician and she insisted that we get the electrics checked, apparently a fishy smell from the walls is usually a warning sign to do with the leccy.

colditz Thu 05-May-05 23:49:31

Have you got a cat? because I had this problem a few weeks ago and it turned out that a tin of cat food had fallen behind the fridge and had been there for about 2 weeks before I found it!

Unsurprisingly, it had a really fishy smell...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: