Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Selling House disagreements - TIPs PLease!

(17 Posts)
Meggymoo Sat 30-Apr-05 12:24:21

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Sat 30-Apr-05 12:26:49

front of house definitely, people will just walk by a scruffy frontage, and will wonder why there isn't a picture of the front on the details - it is also a cheap thing to do - you can just gravel or bark over the cut up grass and put some pots out you can take with you

wouldn't worry so much about the back garden as they won't see it until they've gone through the house, keep it tidy maybe put some bright plants out there (cheap to buy now

definitely touch up all the paintwork and declutter

Meggymoo Sat 30-Apr-05 12:30:10

Message withdrawn

SoupDragon Sat 30-Apr-05 12:38:43

Definitely tart up the front - first impressions count.

Ditto the hall area - again, it's a first impression. It doesn't have to be expensive to do, either re carpet in something cheap & neutral, sand boards, lay cheap laminate.

Def patch up chipped woodwork. It makes your house look cared for rather than "oooh, I wonder what major things have been neglected..."

The dog could be a problem - TheHouse Doctor is always going on about doggy smells. Another reason to get shot of the skanky carpet . See how well you can patch up the lawn - if it proves to be a huge problem and the house is hanging around on the market, it's apparently quite cheap to returf. Maybe tart up the rest of the garden to detract from te lawn.

joash Sat 30-Apr-05 12:49:09

Meggymoo - I would do everything that you've commented on. I do think men would be quite happy living in anything as far as decor, etc goes. Whilst women tend to notice what's really wrong with their surroundings. We've totally re-decorated the entire house (four floors) and potential buyers are still picking fault. One actually asked if we'd pay for them to replace the electric cooker with a gas one - because they don't like cooking with electric (we fitted a complete brand new kitchen and cooker five months ago - just for the sale).

joash Sat 30-Apr-05 13:38:44

Meggymoo - have a look at this

Meggymoo Sat 30-Apr-05 13:44:30

Message withdrawn

Meggymoo Sat 30-Apr-05 13:45:05

Message withdrawn

piffle Sat 30-Apr-05 13:45:55

yes meggy you are right get it tarted up a bit for sure, it is the difference between one viewing and 50 before a sale
Esp for estate agent pictures too, people see these details and I know people do not like to go and look at scruffy frontages....
Good luck.... it's a total roller coaster

NomDePlume Sat 30-Apr-05 13:48:00

Do all of the stuff you've listed. We're hoping to seel our house in the new few months (not on the market yet) and we're stsrting our 'schedule of works' this weekend. Mainly just bitty jobs that we've put off, but they're things that savvy buyers will pick up and we can't afford not to get asking price as we'll be doubling our mortgage for the next step up the ladder.

Gobbledigook Sat 30-Apr-05 13:52:43

In this market I'd do all those things Meggy - ours is practically spotless, newly decorated, new bathroom and it's been on the market 9 months now with no offers

The only room that needed anything doing was the kitchen which was quite dated but OK - we've now ripped it out and are putting in a new one - it's a nightmare but you are right, it's a buyers market atm.

NomDePlume Sat 30-Apr-05 13:53:44

OMG, sorry for the shocking number of typos &

Meggymoo Sat 30-Apr-05 14:20:05

Message withdrawn

Meggymoo Sat 30-Apr-05 16:01:22

Message withdrawn

Meggymoo Sat 30-Apr-05 19:45:26

Message withdrawn

virago Sat 30-Apr-05 20:33:00

When we were selling we asked someone who hadn't seen the house for ages ( one of dp's aunts in our case), to come round and view the house as if they were a prospective purchaser, and then to be brutally honest with us! She didn't notice lots of things that really bugged me, and she made dp realise that too many old film posters made the house sort of creeepy! It needs to be someone close enough that they won't worry too much about offending you, but equally someone you won't take offence from! And you have to stop thinling of it as "your" house as soon as you can!

WestCountryLass Sat 30-Apr-05 22:04:12

I think a lot depends on the rest of your house, what condition it is in and whether it is in a desirable location. We sold our house for the asking price and believe me it is looking worn. I don't think you necessarily need to give it a House Doctor if it has a lot going in its favour.

I reckon you should get a couple of agents round and ask them waht they think. Maybe put it on the market and if nothing positice within a month consider doing stuff then.

Oh, but definitely tidy up the gardens. You could hire a pressure washed to clean the porch donw

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now