Talk

Advanced search

Spyware

(17 Posts)
SoupDragon Fri 29-Apr-05 12:25:55

OK, can't be ar$ed to search archives properly. I want a good free spyware removal thingy. A virus scan found a number of spyware threats but didn't sort them for me. SpyBot didn't find any of them at all so therefore couldn't fix them.

Can anyone recommend another free spyware removal thing? I could find all the threats individually and sort them - I've done some - but I'm too lazy

SaintGeorge Fri 29-Apr-05 12:27:56

Ad-Aware personal

JanH Fri 29-Apr-05 12:34:13

Which tested them and recommended Ad-aware 6 Personal and Spybot Search & Destroy.

Search & Destroy 1.3 - is that the one you tried, soupy?

SaintGeorge Fri 29-Apr-05 12:42:04

I use both of them, they have a habit of picking up different things.

popsycal Fri 29-Apr-05 13:00:18

i use both the one that jan does

SoupDragon Fri 29-Apr-05 13:44:12

Ad-Aware has done the trick, thanks StG. SpyBot is the one I've used before and it found none of the ones AA found. According to SpyBot I was clear but PandSoft found some (but didn't solve them) and Ad Aware found and cured a whole lot more. Although I don't tink, now I look at the PandaSoft report, AA found/cured all of them. Hmmm... Will scan again later - takes AGES!

SaintGeorge Fri 29-Apr-05 13:47:48

The free online Panda search is always finding 'possible' virus and spyware threats on my PC - but no other software ever picks them up. I have even run manual searches for the stuff it labels and can't find them. I ended up downloading some free software Panda emailed me about and IT didn't even pick them up.

Spy-bot and Ad-Aware together seem to keep my PC pretty clean.

SaintGeorge Fri 29-Apr-05 13:48:39

Out of interest Soupy - is it something called 'Barman' that Panda keeps finding? It is on mine, but I can't track it down.

Titania Fri 29-Apr-05 13:50:47

i use |link{http://www.webroot.com/downloads/?WRSID=86ccb3847ad82165a74082d54562e488\this one} download the free trial. it doesnt expire.

Titania Fri 29-Apr-05 13:51:31

sorry this one...webroot spysweeper

SoupDragon Fri 29-Apr-05 13:57:34

No, Panda found Cydoor and Gator - both of which I remember fom, I thin Spybot which is why I found it odd that they didn't get picked up by it.

SoupDragon Fri 29-Apr-05 13:58:05

Might run Ts sugestion when I leave for the school run and see what it finds

TokenBloke Fri 29-Apr-05 14:00:37

spybot

SaintGeorge Fri 29-Apr-05 14:01:39

Gator you should be able to get rid of with Add/Delete Programs. Normally you only get that by giving permission, usually with some other free software. Might be worth looking for Cydoor there as well.

SaintGeorge Fri 29-Apr-05 14:03:35

Typical male response TokenBloke - give an answer without reading the posts properly

Soupy's first post : "SpyBot didn't find any of them at all so therefore couldn't fix them"

SoupDragon Fri 29-Apr-05 15:48:06

Couldn't see Cydoor or Gator there - I removed another one from there earlier on. I'll have to search them out and see where they came from.

Bet Token Bloke only saw "OK, can't be ar$ed to search archives properly. I want a good free spyware removal thingy.... blahblahblahblah". That's all DH hears - the first sentence or so. Thanks anyway, TB. SpyBot has been good in that the immunise function stopped a lot of things.

SoupDragon Fri 29-Apr-05 17:48:50

Right, the one on T's link came up with a few more that none of the others spotted.

Any more suggestions? Wonder if another one might come up with some more spyware How many different anti-spy packages are there and why doesn't any one of them seem to catch the lot??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now