Talk

Advanced search

how to un-orange my bottles??????????

(24 Posts)
starlover Fri 29-Apr-05 11:46:00

argh

I put my bottles in the dishwasher to clean them before I sterilised them.
Unfortunately the lids and the plastic bit that goes on the top have gone orange! Presumably because of the tomato-y pasta pan I had in there too.
They were only very slightly discoloured and I chucked them in the microwave to sterlise.

But when I got them out they're all bright orange! Even worse than when I put them in!

How can I make them go back to their original colour????

FLUM Fri 29-Apr-05 11:46:33

ermmm bleach, then dishwash again?

hunkermunker Fri 29-Apr-05 11:46:53

Don't think you can, hun. Mine are all orangey.

Just read your expressing thread - way to go, Starlover!

Gobbledigook Fri 29-Apr-05 11:47:08

Oops! Don't think you can - some of mine have gone orange too!

FLUM Fri 29-Apr-05 11:47:46

BTW I think if you wash stuff in a dishwasher you don't really need to sterilise as you can wash it hot enough in the dishwasher. i could be wrong but check the temp. Needs to be over 70 degrees for an extended period

starlover Fri 29-Apr-05 11:52:47

darn... they're brand new! Oh well, I'm sure ds won't mind too much.

Thanks hunkermunker... Just got another 50ml so looks like things are on the up at last. I just hope that ds hasn't forgotten what to do when he finally gets a proper B/F!!!

starlover Fri 29-Apr-05 11:53:30

have no idea what temp my dishwasher washes at. It's v old and has no booklet.
was here when we moved in

psychomum5 Fri 29-Apr-05 12:29:52

Just to say......the orange tinge actually comes from the dishwasher powder/liquid, not because of anything tomatoe-y. I have done this in the past, and found that they gradually go back to normal if you have a cold water steriliser....the tabs have a bleaching tendency.

bad luck for those with steam sterilisers tho!!!

Gobbledigook Fri 29-Apr-05 12:30:35

Oh right - I think it's the tomato with mine as I don't have a dishwasher.

Nemo1977 Fri 29-Apr-05 12:32:01

All our bottles went orangey when we started using dishwasher.

starlover Fri 29-Apr-05 12:32:38

have to say, I have put my old ones in the dishwasher before and they have always been fine.

my steriliser can be used with cold water too, which I normally do but was in a rush todaBefore we just used condoms, but seems stupid to keep buying them when I can get free contraceptiony so microwaved.
Will go and fill it up and see if that helps!

Gobbledigook Fri 29-Apr-05 12:36:15

Starlover - condoms? contraception? where did that come from? am I missig something?!?!

starlover Fri 29-Apr-05 12:37:39

argh!
DP has this retarded mouse, and if you have highlighted some text it automatically copies it.
Then, if you press the button in the middle it pastes it!

I keep doing this and accidently pasting stuff in the middle of completely different posts!!!

Ignore the condoms! it has nothing to do with feeding my baby!!!!

starlover Fri 29-Apr-05 12:38:18

bubblerock Fri 29-Apr-05 12:38:19

Glad i wasn't the only one reading that over and over! LOL - see what motherhood does to us

Gobbledigook Fri 29-Apr-05 12:38:25

PMSL!!!

starlover Fri 29-Apr-05 12:39:01

that'll teach me to preview my messages first!!!

lol

Ameriscot2005 Fri 29-Apr-05 12:39:12

I have a product called Cascade Plastic Booster - Cascade is the leading dishwasher detergent brand in the US, and basically the same as Fairy - and its main purpose is to remove red stains from plastics. So does Fairy or any of the other brands have a product like this? You add it alongside your normal detergent.

It also says on the label that you can use it monthly to clean and freshen your dishwasher, so perhaps a dishwasher cleaner would do the trick too. I know that Finish makes one.

starlover Fri 29-Apr-05 12:51:33

will it work on my condoms too?

hunkermunker Fri 29-Apr-05 18:58:19

Starlover - PMSL! I did wonder

Glad to hear that the expressing's going well - hey, a quick tip that used to help me - lean forwards and shake your boobs before you start - honest! I found it used to get the milk flowing more quickly

starlover Fri 29-Apr-05 18:59:12

DH will like that one hunker!

hunkermunker Fri 29-Apr-05 19:03:42

Needless to say, I'd never express in public

Mind you...would anyone?!

Kelly1978 Fri 29-Apr-05 19:31:05

PMSL
I'm so sore and tired but that post really cheered me up!

starlover Fri 29-Apr-05 19:36:03

yeah, can you imagine, dinner out at a nice restaurant. just dig out the expressing stuff and start pumping away.
after the booby jiggle of course!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now