Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Put my big foot in it. Feel VERY embarrassed.

(20 Posts)
BloominHeck Thu 28-Apr-05 20:39:40

I am so bothered by this, I can't even face to put my normal nickname on here.

Today went with ds's class to their regular library visit. Had helped choose some books with the kids so told them to take them to the lady (the librarian). The response from the librarian was, "I'm a man". I wish the ground could've swallowed me whole
It wasn't that he was very iffeminate(sp), rather I thought it was a rather butch woman.

I am SOOO embarrassed and don't think I can face going again. I take my own kids there regularly (and have seen him before. Just always thought he was a woman) Now I feel I can't go again.

What would you do?

ja9 Thu 28-Apr-05 20:45:03

och dont worry about it.... 'beep' it out of your mind and give yourself a break.

i'd be the same as you... and thats what i would do!

Blu Thu 28-Apr-05 20:47:16

oooh, I know I'd feel just like you do.
But it's not actually 'your fault', you made a simple mistake. I suppose options are never go to library again, just 'brazen it out' a few times or be completely upfront and offer a genuine apology next time you go in. 3 would probably be the 'right' thing to do, and would feel better after you'd done it, and nable you to be happy as a regular in future - but would take a deep breath to carry out, IYSWIM!

If you were the llibrarian, what would you want a customer like you to do, do you think?

snafu Thu 28-Apr-05 20:47:34

pmsl, sorry! Just makes me think of Anne from Little Britain...

I don't think there's much you can do, really. You poor thing, how embarrassing. Who are you?

Finbar Thu 28-Apr-05 20:47:54

Just brazen it out and go back in as if nothing has happened ( I know you proabaly arren't feeling like that's fesible at the momnet bu tyou need to get back on that horse (so to speak!)

ja9 Thu 28-Apr-05 20:49:08

come out come out whoever you are!!??

Fimbo Thu 28-Apr-05 20:50:13

PMSL. Never mind who knows they may have only been there filling in for someone on hols/sick.

BloominHeck Thu 28-Apr-05 20:59:39

You lot are great for making me feel better

I reckon I'll steer clear for a week or 2 (get dh to return our books) then next time go in disguise! Today hair was very scruffy, worn down, generally I looked a bit of a mess. Next time I'll tart myself up a bit. Bit of makeup and he'll never recognise me (I hope)

Tommy Thu 28-Apr-05 21:05:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Lonelymum Thu 28-Apr-05 21:11:51

We go past a dumpy lollipop person every day and it wasn't until I saw him without his yellow coat on that I realised he was a man. Dd still refers to him as the lollipop lady.

I wouldn't worry about it. I think it is his problem more than yours and he is probably fretting about it as we speak. There must be something about him that looks a bit womanish otherwise you wouldn't have made the mistake. Next time you see him, he will probably have changed his image and dressed in a more macho way (not sure what that would look like TBH!)

Blu Thu 28-Apr-05 21:23:22

LOL I think the 'disgise' option is brilliant!

Caligula Thu 28-Apr-05 21:40:08

Sorry, but this thread made me PMSL. I want to offer sympathy and support, but I'm ROFL!

Am now eagerly looking out for a thread from a man which says "Got mistaken for a woman today. What should I do?"

feelingold Thu 28-Apr-05 22:12:46

When I worked for a large high street retailer my collegue was taking a customers payment by credit card and she said to customer she thought was a man, 'sorry this card says mrs xx you have given me your wifes card by mistake' to which customer replied 'I don't think so, I am mrs xx.
I had to make a hasty retreat cos my collegue went bright red and I thought I was going to PMSL.

HappyDaddy Thu 28-Apr-05 22:18:44

God, I used to have long hair and was sitting next to a woman with the same style as me, in a restaurant. After taking her order the waiter says, "and for you madam?" so i looked him in the eye and gave my order with a big smile! He sh*t himself!

snafu Thu 28-Apr-05 22:19:37

Always knew you were a big girl's blouse, HD...

HappyDaddy Thu 28-Apr-05 22:21:52

LOL

morningpaper Thu 28-Apr-05 22:22:28

Bloominheck you won't have been the first to make that mistake!! I often say 'the woman' or 'the man' in shops and my heart skips a beat because I haven't really checked - it's impossible when your mind is on a toddler or child. I wouldn't give it another thought!

californiagirl Fri 29-Apr-05 17:16:24

People fairly often call me sir and I just laugh. Then they turn funny colors because frankly, all it takes is one good look at me to notice that I'm a woman -- I'm a 34 G FGS! But I have a low alto voice (I actually often sing tenor) and people sometimes don't really look, they just hear the voice and come to a conclusion...

I bet you're more traumatized than the librarian. I'd brazen it out.

colditz Fri 29-Apr-05 17:19:56

My ex boyf used to get wolf whistled by builders. he had long blonde hair and was tall and slim. They always got a shock when he turned around though.

The beard gave it away a bit...

BloominHeck Fri 29-Apr-05 21:19:14

Well feeling much better about it all today. Mentioned it to some friends at toddler group this morning. Before I'd even finished 2 of them knew what I was going to say as they'd both thought the same as me

When I told dh, he told me a great story. He used to work on a local paper and they had a regular caller to the office, a chap with a very womanly voice. Anyway one day he phoned the office and spoke to a new reporter who didn't instantly recognise his voice as the others did. She took the message and then asked the callers name. When he said "Its Joe Bloggs", she said, "oh thats an unusual name for a woman". He was exceptionally disgruntled by it and didn't call the office for some time after that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now