Talk

Advanced search

Who knows about spyware??? I think I need help....

(14 Posts)
KatieMac Thu 28-Apr-05 19:20:38

My dad suggested I try his virus thingie - you can download it for free from it's website and it tells you if you have problems - so you can buy it.....so apparently I have 7 spyware thingies (technical aren't I)

Does anyone recognise them as dangerous/naughty/scary??

copied from e-accelerator
Stop-Sign has found cookies belonging to Tracking.Cookie, which has been independently identified as possible Spyware cookies
Stop-Sign has found cookies belonging to StatCounter Cookie, which has been independently identified as possible Spyware cookies
Stop-Sign has found cookies belonging to QuestionMarket Cookie, which has been independently identified as possible Spyware cookies
Stop-Sign has found cookies belonging to DoubleClick Cookie, which has been independently identified as possible Spyware cookies
Stop-Sign has found cookies belonging to MediaPlex Cookie, which has been independently identified as possible Spyware cookies
Stop-Sign has found cookies belonging to Bluestreak Cookie, which has been independently identified as possible Spyware cookies
Stop-Sign has found cookies belonging to AvenueA Cookie, which has been independently identified as possible Spyware cookies
Stop-Sign has found cookies belonging to TradeDoubler Cookie, which has been independently identified as possible Spyware cookies

cos I don't want to pay for more kit unless it's absolutely necessary
TIA

AngelCakeUmm Thu 28-Apr-05 19:25:40

I have spyware downloaded and i get the same sort of things as you......you need to quarentine them then delete them and you should really run this spyware stuff everytime you come off your pc to keep it clean as lots on people dp latch onto you.

AngelCakeUmm Thu 28-Apr-05 19:27:15

which spyware thingy do you have downloaded? you can go to (download dot com)and get something called ad-aware which is free for private pc use and will detect all spyware!

KatieMac Thu 28-Apr-05 19:29:24

It's called e-accerator from USA costing something like $65 then $3.50 pcm which is why I don't want to buy it.

anonymouschap Thu 28-Apr-05 19:29:52

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

does what it says on the, erm, tin

SaintGeorge Thu 28-Apr-05 19:30:50

They all look like cookies set by sites when you visit them - the last one in that list for instance will come up every time you visit Mumsnet.

Annoying use of cookies to track your internet usage but nothing hostile. Most free spyware programs will find and remove them so no real need to shell out any cash.

bubblerock Thu 28-Apr-05 19:37:09

I've got Aol which searches for spyware regularly and only found 1 or 2 instances ever. I've had those ads pop up before telling me I have loads of spyware etc.. when I know I haven't - I think they just try to worry you into buying the package!

If you're on AOL go to keyword spyware where you can dowload the software free

KatieMac Thu 28-Apr-05 20:46:31

Not AOL - but I'll have a look at the others
Thanks

AngelCakeUmm Thu 28-Apr-05 20:52:04

Katiemac i would not use that one you have written about buying as i downloaded that the other day (trial version) and when i done a scan with my ad-aware it picked up 42 key registrys ! That package seemed to have had all this in it!

Go to download.com they have loads make sure you download the ones that say free next to them i recommend Ad-aware been fab for me!

KatieMac Thu 28-Apr-05 20:55:24

What's a key registry?

tigi Thu 28-Apr-05 21:00:04

i've got lavasoft ad-aware it was a free download.

SaintGeorge Thu 28-Apr-05 21:01:20

KatieMac - don't worry about key registry, complicated stuff about how data is embedded in your computer. More info than you need to confuse yourself with

KatieMac Thu 28-Apr-05 21:04:46

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AngelCakeUmm Thu 28-Apr-05 21:08:24

tigi - thats the one i have

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now