Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone a parent school helper?

(9 Posts)
SPARKLER1 Wed 27-Apr-05 23:38:46

Have put my crime check form into school. Going to take 3-4 weeks to come back.
Just wondered if any of you helped out at your kid's schools and what sort of things they ask you to do.
I am really looking forward to helping dds school out. I'm a SAHM so it will give me something to do instead of the usual household chores.

SPARKLER1 Thu 28-Apr-05 18:52:03

hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

coldtea Thu 28-Apr-05 18:58:33

I started last week at ds's school, he's in reception. I'm only doing an hour, once a week.

Last week i had to help the children make mini-beasts. I really enjoyed it but wish i could do more. Dd is just 21 months so obviously not at playschool yet i'm sure when she starts i'll get more involved

I totally agree with you, as a SAHM it's a pleasant break from the ironing

Amberlilli Thu 28-Apr-05 19:00:27

Sparkler i usually sit and listen to individual children read, or sit and help out on a table of children who need help 'focusing' on their work.
I have also put up displays.

i just do 2 hours a week but I love it and I'm hoping to go to college in September to get a classroom assistants qualification.

Good luck!

Amberlilli Thu 28-Apr-05 19:02:01

Are we polishing our halos?

Blossomhill Thu 28-Apr-05 19:03:06

I help out in ds's school once a week. I told his teacher that I specifically wanted to do art and craft as I find that the easiest and most enjoyable. She was fine about that and makes sure that's what I do. I think she is just so grateful that I go in and I do really enjoy it.

daisy1999 Thu 28-Apr-05 19:37:06

I helped with art work and listened to reading in reception.
The teachers often need extra help with art as it needs more supervision (a bit messy!)

pixel Thu 28-Apr-05 23:21:59

I helped out for a while with taking a class to Riding for the Disabled which I really enjoyed. Haven't been able to go for a while because of a frozen shoulder but hope to go back soon.

I Didn't have to do any crime checks though.

SPARKLER1 Fri 29-Apr-05 09:06:07

They are very thorough with checking in schools now. Had to fill in a form with all my details including previous addresses. Had to take 3 documents for them to photocopy too with proof of identity.
I help out at dd2's pre-school one morning a week and I didn't have to have a check for that. If I was a permanent worker I would have to fill out another form (seperate from dd1s school one - as it is a different location). At pre-school I am limited to things I can help with, am not allowed to take children to the toilet or change their clothes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now