Talk

Advanced search

Can you machine wash trainers?

(10 Posts)
Pruni Wed 27-Apr-05 19:51:10

Message withdrawn

kid Wed 27-Apr-05 19:52:32

Yes you can, but don't boil them like I did to my sisters!
We left ours on a window ledge to dry. If you put them in the airing cupboard, they tend to curl up a bit.
So it on a cool wash in a pillow case to save hearing the banging on the door.

NomDePlume Wed 27-Apr-05 19:56:27

I wash the kids shoes on the 40 degree 30 min quick wash cycle. Brings 'em up great. You can put them into a pillowcase to minimise banging as they're quite rowdy ! I just hook them on the ends of the radiators and they seem to keep their shape. Or you can stuff them with newspaper (to hold the shape) and sit them in the airing cupboard.

Pruni Wed 27-Apr-05 19:57:46

Message withdrawn

NomDePlume Wed 27-Apr-05 19:58:30

pleased to be of assistance

thedogmother Wed 27-Apr-05 19:59:15

We wash trainers all the time. Quick wash is usually enough, and we put them upside down on a radiator to dry.

Davros Wed 27-Apr-05 22:30:45

YES! And I wash coats too...... within reason.

SleepyJess Wed 27-Apr-05 22:31:34

Yes.. some.. but some don't survive (like Reebok Classics.. they die a death!!!)

sallystrawberry Wed 27-Apr-05 22:32:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Anchovy Wed 27-Apr-05 23:09:18

I did the Nike 10k London run and my trainers got filthy. I was pissed off because it made me look like a bit like someone who might know what they were doing, when I am a absolute rank amateur. Anyway I asked my personal trainer about this (nowhere near as glam as it sounds) qnd she said she put hers in the washing machine (and she has a degree in sports science so MUST know about things like this!). She said low temp - ie quick wash or equivalent, preferably in a pillow case or similar, stuff with newspaper to dry and definitely no tumbling. She said it probably shortened their active life, but only by nano-seconds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now