Talk

Advanced search

Help me come up with a good feature idea about celebrities giving birth

(18 Posts)
crunchie Wed 27-Apr-05 16:47:14

As some of you know I work for a womens mag (REAL) not on the editorial side though. I was talking to our editor and she was thinking of commisioning a feature on celebs c-sections (yawn yawn )

This is not a media request I am not looking for case studies, but I am trying to persuade her the outline she has been sent is total rubbish - it includes the line that a 'natural birth cannot happen after a c-section due to the delecate matter of scar tissue!!!' FFS what is that b******ks.

Anyway I said to het I could come up with a load of better feature ideas (not write them mind you) about celebs and babies and of course I want you all to help

Basically my comment about Posh was that SOME women do lose weight like that after PG (she may have done a drastic diet, but not necessarily) - Perhaps a 'baby weight' feature could be interesting. ie some women cannot shed the lbs, others lose it quickly, some lose it while breast feeding, others hold on the the weight until they have stopped. ALL OF THESE ARE NORMAL

The other stuff could be trying to get round the myths that have arisen due to the media (ironic I know) about being 'too posh to push' and how Kate Winslet lied for years about the birth, because she felt 'guilty' about having a c-section after spouting about how a natural birth was best etc

Actually that leads me on - Mothers Guilt. Why do we feel guilty in a way that men don't. Guilt about birth choices, feeding choices sleeping choices etc. Is it the media or other women who make us feel this way?

Mummy makeovers - Postnatal tummy tucks, is it an urban myth or will Dr's do a tuck at the same time as a c-section??

Anyway these are my quick ideas, I am sure there are loads more, I want to present Birth choices in a positive manner, and not be anti one choice or another.

Bugsy2 Wed 27-Apr-05 16:51:19

There is a birth centre in SW18 where quite alot of celebs go who are looking for a "natural" birth. Run by Caroline Flint I think. They might give you some good quotes.

MarsLady Wed 27-Apr-05 16:53:55

I actually like your ideas. Urban myths! Fab! Mother's guilt. Another excellent suggestion.

Not very helpful am I?

Easy Wed 27-Apr-05 16:58:51

Sure crunchie. Then will you come and do some of my work for me ?

Cheek

Mud Wed 27-Apr-05 16:59:25

its a bloody urban myth that tummy tuck with c-section unless you live in france - much to my total dismay

how about a feature on how women are made to feel inferior by certain parenting organisations for having a csection

how about how birth stories become a right of passage and bonding ritual for many women in post-natal groups - how friendships form in post-natal groups -

Pruni Wed 27-Apr-05 17:26:08

Message withdrawn

crunchie Wed 27-Apr-05 18:44:37

Easy I know I am being cheeky, I am just ater ideas of things that we would really LOVE to read. IYKWIM rather than what a journalist (no ofence to some on here) think we WANT to read. Does that make sense?? I am asking you this as a mother, not a journalist. This is not my job either - I am on the advertising side, but since our editor was about to commission a totally naff and untrue article I had to step in

crunchie Wed 27-Apr-05 18:49:21

I am sure like me you are all sick of articles that spend their whole time slagging off any choice made by a celeb. All things written about Posh are about her weight, no-one says that it can happen naturally

bundle Wed 27-Apr-05 18:50:57

crunchie i fear for the health of women like posh, because of the way she has rapidly lost weight (and was screened by her minders until she had done so, so it obviously bothered her, unlike charles kennedy's wife who showed off her rounded tummy within hours of giving birth)

ggglimpopo Wed 27-Apr-05 18:53:25

Message withdrawn

ggglimpopo Wed 27-Apr-05 18:54:00

Message withdrawn

motherinferior Wed 27-Apr-05 18:54:36

I think Pruni's ideas are fab.

aloha Wed 27-Apr-05 18:59:26

All I know is, if it contains the phrase 'too posh to push' I shall come round and burn the office down!

lou33 Wed 27-Apr-05 19:01:46

me too , and i haven't had a c/s!

crunchie Wed 27-Apr-05 19:06:14

Exactly Aloha!! Hence my post I mean imagine a feature that includes that phrase and then has 'informtion' about all the scare sories on c-sections and includes the 'fact' that once you have one, you cannot have a 'natural' birth (I am assuming she means a VBAC) I got my back up. But our commissioning editor has never had kids and therefore hasn't a clue about this sort of subject matter
I love prunis ideas too, I just want to steal all the ideas off real mums who are sick of the way PG and birth are portrayed in the media. I remembered a quite 'hot' thread on Posh when she first was seen so slim

lou33 Wed 27-Apr-05 19:08:27

tell your editor to get in the club and she can record her own journal

Prufrock Wed 27-Apr-05 22:46:05

I had ds at John and Lizzies (v. posh celeb hospital in North London which is more into natural birth). They actively discourage non medically necessary c-sections by charging more (which I know is not a huge deterrent to celebs) and definately do not do the tummy tuck - my consultant did confirm that in his experience it is a complete urban myth.
I'd be interested in how celebs cope without the support that "normal" mothers get - I mean you can buy as many private midwives and nannies as you like, but for many people the most supportive group are the other mothers in the antenatal classes or baby groups - not somewhere you could imagine posh going to admit her worries

Pruni Thu 28-Apr-05 15:06:42

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: