Talk

Advanced search

Just been called childish by a colleague

(23 Posts)
handlemecarefully Mon 25-Apr-05 09:14:25

Was telling her that where I live is a sea of blue, placard after placard of tory posters. Dh was furious at the weekend when our neighbour allowed a tory placard to be erected at the entrance to our shared driveway without consulting us. Dh is not particularly ideologically against the tories, and in fact in many ways is sympathetic to them, but will not vote for them due to the Europe issue.

Anyway, dh contacted a friend and arranged for a labour placard to go up outside our house. We are the only labour placard amongs a sea of blue for at least 5 miles in either direction.

Was laughing with colleague about how we were equally motivated by a desire to pique our neighbours and the locals as much as we were by party politics - and then she called my childish!

I suppose I am - but what's wrong with having a bit of fun.

lou33 Mon 25-Apr-05 09:15:47

nothing hmc, she has probably had a soh bypass

almostanangel Mon 25-Apr-05 09:16:04

put your fingers in your ears poke your tounge out and say im not listening ner ne ner ne ner now thats childish and funny

handlemecarefully Mon 25-Apr-05 09:17:02

I'm sorely tempted to do just that!

PiccadillyCircus Mon 25-Apr-05 09:18:19

I have an urge to do the same thing to be honest. There is such a sea of blue around us. Our next door neighbour (who looks like Wurzel Gummidge and has an enormous Great Dane) has a placard outside his house, and there are ones in the hedge opposite.

Maybe I could be really daring and get a Lib Dem one?

How do you get one?

The other thing is that as we have recently moved we won't even be voting for any of the people here anyway (only moved 5 miles but they are obviously 5 all important miles).

almostanangel Mon 25-Apr-05 09:20:51

ner ne ner im not listening....go for it she will just go hmmph and walk off lol

DaddyCool Mon 25-Apr-05 09:22:42

tories grrrrrr.

tell her she's being a stupid-head and that she's not the boss of you. then tell her that you're going to starting kicking and punching in the air and that if she comes close and get's hit, it's her fault 'cause you warned her.

handlemecarefully Mon 25-Apr-05 09:23:29

Dh rang up the number of one of their election leaflets.

Piccadilly, I was very tempted to get a League against Cruel sports / anti hunting placard up when all my neighbours were exhibiting Countryside Alliance posters a few months back. I suppose I'm a bit bloody minded!

handlemecarefully Mon 25-Apr-05 09:24:14

Lol Daddycool!

Hulababy Mon 25-Apr-05 09:26:52

I'd go for a record and see how many different ones you can get outside. Just claim that everyone is your household has completely different opinions.

moondog Mon 25-Apr-05 09:27:09

lol daddycool
She sounds like an arse. I think what you've done is hilarious!!!
(Just don't go putting BNP ones up for a laff ok??! )

almostanangel Mon 25-Apr-05 09:28:05

make one up ..vote for billy connelly or something!!

DaddyCool Mon 25-Apr-05 09:28:41

BNF! LOL.

did anyone get the BNP leaflet through the door with the picture of the main guy's family and the little kid speech ballooning "my daddy's not a racist" pmsl.

DaddyCool Mon 25-Apr-05 09:29:06

BNP even!

PiccadillyCircus Mon 25-Apr-05 09:29:47

Hula, that sounds like a great idea....

Suppose you can only have ones where there is a candidate for that party where you are. But maybe I could be the Bedfordshire branch of Plaid Cymru, the SNP, the Monster Raving Looney Party etc etc.

We have the potential for DH, me, DS, cat and unborn child to express our opinions.

suzywong Mon 25-Apr-05 09:32:25

my parents live in the New Forest and my dad greatly enjoys tearing up the hand delivered Tory leaflets in front of the deliverer and sticking Lib Dem posters in the window,

it is childish but we all need to express that side of ourselves every four years

handlemecarefully Mon 25-Apr-05 09:40:13

Ah the Hulababy plan is indeed sorely tempting....

Tinker Mon 25-Apr-05 09:42:56

Oh, I'd come in with a big red rosette tomorrow then.

snafu Mon 25-Apr-05 10:00:48

God, if that makes you childish then I hate to think what your colleague would make of my plan to do a midnight raid on all the Tory placards down the road from me More than 20 of 'em in a 200-metre stretch, at most.

It's like driving down Tory Sniper Alley...

Tinker Mon 25-Apr-05 10:02:25

Or every time she speaks to you, snarl "Tory" in a Jane Horricks/Life is Sweet kind of way.

handlemecarefully Mon 25-Apr-05 10:04:45

lol Tinker

Excellent plan snafu. Let us know if you have the balls to follow it through! (I wouldn't have the backbone personally)

Marina Mon 25-Apr-05 10:06:52

And there was me thinking that day-dreaming of lobbing dd's dirty nappy onto the roof of our passing grade A idiot Tory candidate's "Vote for Spencer" car was childish. By your humourless colleague's standards I'd have been dragged off to Belmarsh. Go for the full-Hula IMO, excellent idea.

snafu Mon 25-Apr-05 10:11:27

I did suggest to my lovely Tory-voting dad the other day that perhaps we could set a new trend but having both a Tory and a Labour placard outside the house. One for me and one for him. Or a Labour poster in the top windows of the house and Tory ones along the bottom...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now