Talk

Advanced search

Don't want to do ds's birthday party this year....

(44 Posts)
ks Mon 25-Apr-05 09:00:37

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Mon 25-Apr-05 09:02:00

Why not do something very simple - video at home, playing on play station, maybe a sleep over? Turn lights off in living room, give them popcorn and hotdogs, and shut them in with a couple of videos.

They might relish a simple party for a change.

TrophyWife Mon 25-Apr-05 09:03:03

take them bowling, my mate did this for her 8yr old and four of his mates than McDs for food.

bibiboo Mon 25-Apr-05 09:05:13

I agree with Hulababy - something simple will probably do the trick. Get some of those kits from WHSmith - paper plane modelling or magic tricks and let them entertain themselves. Or do something very grown up and let them make their own cake for your ds (supervised of course) but stress the importance of the task and their individual roles - maybe a bit of responsibility will work wonders. That si if you can face a kitchen full of little boys!

lou33 Mon 25-Apr-05 09:08:12

ice skating in guildford?

roisin Mon 25-Apr-05 09:14:29

Would a trip to the theatre cut the mustard? How civilised are they? Could you take them out for a nice meal?

Alternatively, how about taking just one or two out for the day to a theme park or a museum or something they might particularly enjoy?

How about something creative? Or cookery - making their own pizzas or something similar?

The best party I have witnessed was when we were camping. There was a dad with 4 boys - about 10 I think - so older than yours. He'd taken them fishing that afternoon, we watched them as he showed them how to gut the fish. Then they were barbecuing them later in the evening, and obviously camping for the night too. Even as a distant observer it was clearly a fantastic experience for those boys.

I'm just throwing out a few random ideas here in case anything vaguely fits.

aloha Mon 25-Apr-05 09:15:55

dsd 13, has just had a fab time going bowling. Follow it up - if you have the energy - with a vid at home - like the idea of hotdogs and popcorn too!

LIZS Mon 25-Apr-05 09:18:19

We haven't had one for ds who turned 7 a month ago. It fell in the holidays and he has lost interest since . Last year we went bowling with a few friends, or could you take them karting, or to a climbing wall if there is a suitable facility near you. It doesn't really matter if they do that sort of thing often anyway. Then just have cake and drinks on hand for afterwards.

batters Mon 25-Apr-05 09:26:53

take them to a restaurant (after an activity) where they can get involved in for, instance, making their own pizzas?

JanH Mon 25-Apr-05 09:31:17

Do you/DH and DS like walking, ks? You could take them for a looong walk - pref somewhere with a stream to dam and trees to climb - and either have a picnic tea or take them to a cafe. And you can do that even if it's raining, as long as you all have waterproofs and wellies. Most boys love getting wet and dirty.

Tortington Mon 25-Apr-05 09:59:51

don't do one ks. as you prolly know i dont do well with other peoples kids so i dont do birthday parties (in the keep up with the jones' try to please my kids on their b'day sense). and its no big deal. we do finger food buffet and b'day cake after school just for us - depending on the friend i might say to them that they can invite one - for an hour - to my house. as this doesn't happen often its the biggest treat. - if you dont like it i think hes old enough to be told that you dont like doing it and to discuss alternatives.

ks Mon 25-Apr-05 10:57:36

Message withdrawn

WideWebWitch Mon 25-Apr-05 10:58:18

Football match?

ks Mon 25-Apr-05 10:58:47

Message withdrawn

Tinker Mon 25-Apr-05 11:01:45

If you do do bowling, do it yourself, don't organise and pay for a "bowling party". Had one this month for daughter's 8th - very shoddy

ks Mon 25-Apr-05 11:02:09

Message withdrawn

ks Mon 25-Apr-05 11:02:37

Message withdrawn

JanH Mon 25-Apr-05 11:04:59

ks, I can state quite categorically that iceskates don't slice fingers off - DD1's were skated over and she still has all hers!

ks Mon 25-Apr-05 11:07:00

Message withdrawn

Tinker Mon 25-Apr-05 11:08:04

ks - yes. Party "facilitator" kept disappearing, big gaps between end of game and moving to "party room", not enough space in said "room", only one game organised, told we would need to leave room 20 minutes before end of party because they had overbooked and then left with 8 kids running round the whole bowling place because nothing else to do. And soooo noisy. But they did cock up teh charge and charged me £10 less than should have Cock up because of noise, poor guy couldn't concentrate at till. Oh, and Megabowl gives Nestle chocolates

ks Mon 25-Apr-05 11:14:42

Message withdrawn

aloha Mon 25-Apr-05 11:15:13

I think much better just to go bowling as a group, then either off to pizza express or home for hotdogs, vid and popcorn.
Just do it ks! Then it's all over for another year.

ks Mon 25-Apr-05 11:18:39

Message withdrawn

LIZS Mon 25-Apr-05 13:53:32

Does it matter that they think the noodles are worms as long as they, and ds of course, enjoy it ! Pick a time when it will be quiet and perhaps the parents would join you.

emeraldefmach Mon 25-Apr-05 15:05:29

Why don't you take them up to the park for a game of footie, followed by a trip to Pizza Express. If you do a small party booking, the kids are allowed to make their own pizzas there. My son has done this twice and has loved it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now