Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Guardian readers and their ways (part 57)

(40 Posts)
SenoraPostrophe Sat 23-Apr-05 14:39:18

I was thinking of changing my name for this, but I can't be bothered.

A friend (let's call her C) has been helping me out with childcare and a bit of housework (paid). We are from completely different backgrounds but she is nice - one of the things about living in Spain is that you get to know lots of people who would be outside your social circle in the UK - bit like MN.

Anyway, another friend (D) told me the other day that C had been telling her about how hard it is to find a "system" which allows her (or anyone, in fact) to look after ds and dd while doing housework. I am well aware of this - they are 1 and 2! D asked C if I had a system (answer is yes - let them pull all the things out of the cupboard) and C replied "no. You know she reads the guardian?"

what could she possibly mean?

JanH Sat 23-Apr-05 14:42:44

Oh, SP, I have just read that twice and I am laughing and laughing (rather like Diesel from Thomas the Tank, you probably haven't had him yet - "I larfed and larfed" he says) but can't help at all. It's like a secret code!

Did D laugh too? [hopeful]

SenoraPostrophe Sat 23-Apr-05 14:51:36

D thought it was funny, yes. So did I - but I can't ask C about it or she'll know we've been gossiping.

Bearess Sat 23-Apr-05 14:56:13

I am not a Guardian reader - but that is hilarious!! Thank you for brightening up my afternoon while I do the hoovering!!

bonym Sat 23-Apr-05 16:03:44

I think Guardian readers have a reputation for being free-thinkers and quite laid-back - maybe that's her explanation for you not having a "system" (in her opinion )! Just a theory - could be something entirely different!

JanH Sat 23-Apr-05 16:14:28

SP, I just told DD1 this story - she thought it was v funny too and her explanation was similar to bonym's - "she's a liberal who doesn't discipline her children" - (or a laidback free-thinker which is a much nicer way of putting it )

ambrosia Sat 23-Apr-05 16:18:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SenoraPostrophe Sat 23-Apr-05 17:05:05

Ambrosia - lol at long, possibly unclean hair!

I really should get it cut/washed.

Heathcliffscathy Sat 23-Apr-05 17:08:10

SP, it's a compliment!

i think that 'systems' for housework/childcare are suspect in the extreme...it's not a factory now is it???

Heathcliffscathy Sat 23-Apr-05 17:08:10

SP, it's a compliment!

i think that 'systems' for housework/childcare are suspect in the extreme...it's not a factory now is it???

SenoraPostrophe Sat 23-Apr-05 17:32:45

but do you have long, possibly unclean hair, sophable?

You're right although like i say, i do have a system, which involves rotating the pans at the front of the pan cupboard and hiding little pots of jar lids. Not very business-like really. I do fail to discipline ds though. he is 1 after all. Did you see the thread on dinner table rules? I realised this morning that my rule is "don't climb on the table while eating breakfast".

Heathcliffscathy Sat 23-Apr-05 17:38:11

hmmm...shoulder length, and not always pristinely clean it has to be said (if i wash it everyday, it goes lank and horrible). and i have birkenstocks (white ones, but also do heels, but mainly trainers) and i sometimes eat tofu (but also steak )! i am a walking stereotype!

Heathcliffscathy Sat 23-Apr-05 17:38:11

hmmm...shoulder length, and not always pristinely clean it has to be said (if i wash it everyday, it goes lank and horrible). and i have birkenstocks (white ones, but also do heels, but mainly trainers) and i sometimes eat tofu (but also steak )! i am a walking stereotype!

Heathcliffscathy Sat 23-Apr-05 17:38:34

oh bloody hell,why are all my posts doubling up!

WideWebWitch Sat 23-Apr-05 17:42:31

ha ha Senora! I agree, I reckon it's shorthand for bohemian.

morningpaper Sat 23-Apr-05 17:51:35

Hehe well as long as she didn't mean "she reads the Guardian drinking gin and eating chocolates all day..."

I also had the pulling-things-out-of-cupboards techniques. Also removing all the books from the shelves. She spent HOURS doing this.

By the way, my table rules are that you MUST have pants on if you are eating. This rule was put in place after I uttered the sentence "Please do not put Rice Krispies in your bits."

WideWebWitch Sat 23-Apr-05 17:53:08

pmsl at mp and the pants rule!

motherinferior Sat 23-Apr-05 18:22:26

Yep, I'm with JanH.

I've found that a cheapo sheet of fridge magnets - not the educational sort, the ones of plastic fruit - and indeed the sort with small bits in them which are probably lethal - keep the Inferiorettes, especially DD2, pottering happily while I cook. DD1 organises the fruit into patterns and DD2 pushes them around randomly, both with fetching looks of concentration on their faces.

Our only rules about food are 'no, eat it'.

Tommy Sat 23-Apr-05 18:35:06

that's my excuse then for being completely disorganised and having no systems

SenoraPostrophe Sat 23-Apr-05 19:17:26

I seem to recall that I have uttered that sentence, but i failed to put a pants rule in place. That's how slack I am!

Prufrock Sat 23-Apr-05 20:56:28

mp - I am laughing out loud with tears running down my face. I have uttered the words - "Spoons are for eating food, not puting in your bits" at the table- but did not actually instigate a pants rule - from tomorrow we will have one.
My "system" in the kitchen involves baby emptying cupboards, and toddler telling him not to make mess and putting eveything back - it's a wonderful one.

spots Sat 23-Apr-05 21:00:23

morningpaper, if reading the Guardian makes me the kind of parent who might, one day, say something like that then I'm a happy woman tonight.

bossykate Sat 23-Apr-05 21:05:53

liberal leftie - yes
birkenstocks - yes
veggie - no, confirmed carnivore
no rules for kids - i am von trapp pre the arrival of maria
mooncup - no but keep meaning to
organic - yes
long,possibly unclean,hair - long but clean most of the time!

my system for cooking with the kids around? don't. do it at some other time when they are not around and freeze it.

bossykate Sat 23-Apr-05 21:06:41

not quite true re the cooking thing - now ds is a bit older he likes helping, but we do it when dd is asleep.

ambrosia Sat 23-Apr-05 21:29:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now