Talk

Advanced search

Pocket-money/pasta jar/treats Question

(4 Posts)
jodee Sat 23-Apr-05 14:15:54

DS is 5 and we have been doing the pasta jar pocket-money reward/punishment thing for a couple of months (are you around, Soupy?).

This is working well, but obviously taking a while to build up to a decent amount of 10 pences that are worth spending without me adding to them.

I think my question really is, how often do you treat your kids when you a) give pocket money b) don't give pocket money? Do you have a system where they get, say, a comic every Sat or every fortnight? Is this out of their own pocket-money or yours? DS doesn't really care for sweets as a treat and likes a toy, but of course these are more expensive.

I want ds to 'earn' a toy, but on the other hand i do like to treat him occasionally. He isn't spoilt (only child!!!), I don't give in to pester power, but he finds it hard if, e.g. we are buying a present in Woolworths for a classmate's birthday, why it isn't his 'turn' for a present, IYSWIM?

SoupDragon Sat 23-Apr-05 14:51:42

Do you know what - just getting the money is enough for DSs! They like counting it up and seeing how much they've got.

When it gets to about £5, I did plan to take them to spend it but it's realy not come to that - they don't worry about ctually spending it.

Treat wise, it's not a regular thing. If htey're with me and have been really good we'll maybe buy something small like a magazine or if we've been out for the day we'll get something.

jodee Sun 24-Apr-05 19:02:25

Thanks Soupy, ds likes counting the money too!

ambrosia Sun 24-Apr-05 19:21:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now