Advanced search

Dual Nationality - How does it work?

(10 Posts)
swiperfox Sat 23-Apr-05 11:57:39

My dad seemsd to think we can move to Australia (he already lives there) for 2 years, get our passports then just come and go as we please. My friend lives in America and has US and UK passports.

So can you really just come and go as you please? Or do you have to notify that you are leaving the country/come back to the country?

eg... If my friend came to live with us for 6 months does she have to notify anyone that she is back here or can she just come back and start working as if she never left?

eidsvold Sat 23-Apr-05 14:13:17

you would have to emigrate to Australia and depending on the type of visa you have you would then be entitled to permanent residency and then apply for citizenship. You could not just arrive and start living in Aus and then claim citizenship - you would need to be granted residency.

I have dual UK/Aus citizenship as does my dd1 and dd2 is entitled to it. Dh who is a UK citizen has permanent residency status for Aus and is entitled to apply for full citizenship after two years residency.

You would have to apply for citizenship before you can get an aussie passport. As far as I am aware your friend - provided she entered on her British passport can just live there and start working as if she never left.

I have UK/Aus citizenship as I was born in Aus to an English father. Dd1 has dual as she was born in the UK to an aussie mum and I applied for her citizenship by descent. Dd2 has dual as she was born in Australia to English parents.

WHen I arrived in the UK - had the british passport - just started living and working there - had to apply for NI number and NHS stuff but that was it.

here for the High Commission in London - to tell you the facts - in case there is something I am not aware of.

stripey Sat 23-Apr-05 15:07:21

My dh is Australian and I now have Australian Citizenship but it wasn't easy to obtain. It took around 6 months to get a permanent residency visa which included taking medicals etc. Then I had to live in Australia for a minimum of 2 years before I could apply for citizenship which entitled me to apply for an Australian Passport.

Our boys have Australian Citizenship by decent and both have UK and Australian passports so yes we could move between countries if we chose to.

Is your father and Australian Citizen or just a resident. I am not sure of all of the rules but maybe you could get a visa through him?

Ameriscot2005 Sat 23-Apr-05 15:25:18

If you have citizenship of a country, you can come and go as you please. You don't have to notify the immigration folks that you are coming or going. There may be other obligations though, such as notifying the tax authorities.

Marssswapper Sat 23-Apr-05 15:34:22

Thanks guys. My Dad has lived there for about 15 years now i think.

He seems to think that because he lives there it will be simple for us to just leave here and move there for 2 years to gain citizenship.

I have a feeling it's not that simple!!

swiperfox Sat 23-Apr-05 15:39:42

Oops! pmsl!!!

Ameriscot2005 Sat 23-Apr-05 18:27:00

Mars, I don't think your father can sponsor you to move to Australia. You'd have to be a dependent child for him to do that.

You could look at skills-based immigration. The scope for this is quite wide.

stripey Sat 23-Apr-05 20:32:25

Its definitely not simple but it may be possible. A lot depends on your age, skills and how much money you have also you would all have to be in perfect health.

Hausfrau Sat 23-Apr-05 20:42:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eidsvold Sun 24-Apr-05 06:47:50

he may have residency but not citizenship in which case I am sure he cannot sponsor but check the website I did a link too it will help you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: