Talk

Advanced search

fond memories of gas and air

(30 Posts)
beansontoast Fri 22-Apr-05 20:23:49

just had a flash back reading the 'was childbirth the most painful...' thread.

my first hour or so of labour was hilarious,i couldnt believe my luck..chuckling to myself now when i think about it.
i was laughing so much that i couldnt even speak to say how great it was ..and then the next contraction would come and id be away with the fairies again.fantastic.

...not much to laugh about as time went on though.ahhh but the memories

beansprout Fri 22-Apr-05 20:26:16

I didn't have such a good experience - just made this bean feel very, very sick!!

moondog Fri 22-Apr-05 20:27:59

Yes, I suppose it is funny..to start with...
Mind you I'm the type who has polite conversations about degrees and career paths while in labour, and I insisted on reading the Saturday Telegraph (motoring section an' all) while in the birthing pool.
The mws must have been pissing tghemselves in retrospect....

Surfermum Fri 22-Apr-05 20:33:38

Moondog.

I don't think mine was working. I had no effect at all until they changed the bottle (at 8cm). Different story then, the room swam and I sang Build Me Up Buttercup into the mouthpiece!

beansontoast Fri 22-Apr-05 20:34:54

oh bean that must have been ughk.
lol 'career paths' moondog.

Tinker Fri 22-Apr-05 20:35:24

Just made me want to throw up, didn't touch the pain

lockets Fri 22-Apr-05 20:36:20

Message withdrawn

beansontoast Fri 22-Apr-05 20:36:46

i could do with a cannister in the sitting room for recreational use.
getting giggly now just thinking about stoned labouring women!

moondog Fri 22-Apr-05 20:39:30

Dh wouldn't give it a go much as I urged him to.
Said he wanted to be compos mentis in case it all went awry (Great eh??)
Do you think a spliff would have the same effect in chilbirth? I hate dope, makes me feel sick and paranoid, haven't touched it for years, but the g&a did give me a similar feeling, only in a nice way.
That diamorphine shot in the arse was the icing on the cake though.

beansontoast Fri 22-Apr-05 20:46:40

the beauty of gas and air was that you didnt get any of the weird stuff that you can get with spliff...just the giggles...and it wears off, so you can remind the midwife about your lifethreatening platelet count and then go for another whirl.
it was sooo surreal.im being a bit adolescent about this arnt i?

moondog Fri 22-Apr-05 20:49:13

Yes, there wasn't any weird shit was there (apart from another person emerging from your body which is of course waaaaaaaaaaay weird!!!!!)?

I do remember my mother and sister coming in shortly afterwards (dh was abroad) and insisting on knowing exactly what they'd had for dinner and how it had been cooked.
What was that all about???

bossykate Fri 22-Apr-05 20:50:04

found it utterly useless with first labour - but utterly blissfully fantastic with 2nd - mws ran out and had to send for more!

beansontoast Fri 22-Apr-05 20:58:09

love it,mdg.not wierd atall.no weirdy side effects.

...at one point towards the end i wouldnt open my eyes or speak and was convinced that dp could read my mind

moondog Fri 22-Apr-05 21:00:33

That is pretty far out bot!!!

Mog Fri 22-Apr-05 21:06:25

Think I had my third child so I could get some more . Love it, especially because - unlike pethidine etc - you can control how much you take. Even enjoyed having stitches at the end because they gave me free rein on how much I wanted.

hatsoff Fri 22-Apr-05 21:07:46

I was well and truly away, virtualy hallucinating. The G&A was my friend - a magnificent horse - and together we were galloping along a beautiful beach through the surf. One of the best drug experiences I've had tbh.

expatinscotland Fri 22-Apr-05 21:08:25

OMG. Confession: when I was at uni I sometimes smoked cannabis. In the States, it's all skunk weed. I forgot about how it felt . . . until I had that gas & air! Whoa, was I high!

ionesmum Fri 22-Apr-05 21:10:20

Ooooh it's lovely stuff isn't it? I can remember singing to Cathy's Clown on the radio. And when they put the drip in and blood shot out everywhere, I literally fell about, th emore blood I saw the more I laughed. Poor dh, I couldn't tell him I was okay, all I could do was laugh. The mws were getting a bit worried as I carried on with the g&a even after my epidural.

And the pethidine was very yummy too, like six double scotches all at once. Didn't last long though.

After that it all went a bit pear shaped, but when I had my planned section with dd2 I did miss the g&a.

Mog Fri 22-Apr-05 21:11:03

And to top it all they say it is good for the baby - helps them with oxygen as they are going through the stress of labour, That's what they call a win-win situation .

moondog Fri 22-Apr-05 21:12:22

Oh that is excellent news Mog!!!

beansontoast Fri 22-Apr-05 21:15:45

lol lol lol

bossykate Fri 22-Apr-05 21:16:48

xpis - didn't everyone smoke joints at uni? yes i know exactly what you mean - no munchies either, just as well as you would bring them up later...

Thomcat Fri 22-Apr-05 21:18:05

I didn't have any and remember thinking afterwards, oh bollocks I wanted to kn ow what that stuff was like. I've heard good things about it. Maybe I'll try it out this November , then again maybe not.

moondog Fri 22-Apr-05 21:20:10

Anyone who did all that without drugs is dead 'ard and deserves tons of respect.
Shouldn't you pregnant ladies be resting tc? Too much excitement isn't good for you or the baby you know.

edodgy Fri 22-Apr-05 21:26:17

I loved the stuff and so did my best mate and dp, the midwife left us for about 2 hours and we were all laughing hysterically for ages. they should bottle it and sell it in pubs soo funny.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: