Talk

Advanced search

Bath re-enamelling

(10 Posts)
bluesky Thu 21-Apr-05 14:07:46

We are currently redoing a bathroom, but want to keep the bath, it is low, wide, long and gorgeous, but want to re-enamel it white.

Has anyone had this done, can you recommend it?

It will only be used by guests so won't be getting daily use, our plumber has said it isn't very long lasting so doesnt appear keen! Thanks.

mamadadawahwah Thu 21-Apr-05 16:11:45

No havent done it but my best mates husband does it for a living. Cost is about 180 -250 depending on what you want. It takes a day, is very smelly but works out a treat. He uses three coats. You can do it yourself too, but i dont know what the results would be like. He uses professional spraying equipment and special coatings.

MarsLady Thu 21-Apr-05 16:22:24

I had it done. The bath looked brand new. Wonderful. Worth the time and smell.

Demented Thu 21-Apr-05 16:58:11

We had it done in our last house, it cost £150 (but this was about 5 years ago), the result was really good. We were recommended only to use Cif Cream on it however as the sprays that say they are safe for enamel are only safe for new from the factory enamel baths and not resurfaced ones, don't know if this is still the advice but worth checking if you get it done as you don't want to ruin your new surface.

I don't know how long it lasts, ours certainly still looked good after a couple of years but then we moved, compared with buying a new enamel bath, you could have your old bath resurfaced quite a few times.

dropinthe Thu 21-Apr-05 17:01:16

I think you need to research the people doing it as a relative of mine had it done and about 2 months later it was chipping off really bad and looked worse than before they had it done.

bluesky Thu 21-Apr-05 20:33:55

thanks guys. Mamadadwahwah (cool name) where does bmh work? Wishful thinking that it is near me!?

Hausfrau Thu 21-Apr-05 20:45:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thedogmother Thu 21-Apr-05 20:49:28

We had a bath done at our old house - would recommend it any time. It was a lovely cast iron bath (didn't have the nice feet unfortunately), which the new owners ripped out and left broken in half on the front garden within a week of them moving in

bluesky Thu 21-Apr-05 21:44:48

thanks for all the positive feed back, I was beginning to think it wasn't going to happen, but am now going to pursue it.

mamadadawahwah Fri 22-Apr-05 08:35:07

Well if you want to get your bath done, my advice would be to ask the person doing it to show you pictures of what he has done. Also ask him to explain the process. There arent that many people doing it and like all things there will be good and bad. Its the coatings that make the big difference. They have to dry thoroughly and then they have to be buffed. If you see your guy pulling out a can of B&Q bath enameling paint you can be pretty sure its gonna be a bad job.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: