Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

wish us luck....

(25 Posts)
starlover Thu 21-Apr-05 09:48:06

DS is spending the night in hospital tonight for a polysomnogram. It's basically a kind of sleep study, which they are doing to make sure that his breathing and oxygen levels are ok.
He's having it because he has a floppy windpipe which is affecting his breathing. The consultant has said it's mild to moderate, and that he's happy to just let him grow out of it as long as the results of the polysomnogram come back ok!

They like to get 12 hours of data, which is never gonna happen! Not sure what DS will make of it all.... he is only 10 weeks old, and I have a feeling won't like having the stuff taped to his face etc.

We're going in at 8pm tonight... so wish us luck! I'm really nervous!!!

HappyDaddy Thu 21-Apr-05 09:49:41

Lots of luck and good wishes from me.

almostanangel Thu 21-Apr-05 09:51:42

how old is ds oh and [[hugs]]

starlover Thu 21-Apr-05 09:53:23

he's only 10 weeks!

almostanangel Thu 21-Apr-05 09:58:05

oh hun ..my daughter had something called loringo mallaer def not spelt like that but thats how it sounded...floppy voice box

anchovies Thu 21-Apr-05 09:58:30

Bless him, hope it goes ok. Got a feeling you will need more hugs than him though! {{{{}}}}}

starlover Thu 21-Apr-05 10:12:49

thank you

almostanangel Thu 21-Apr-05 10:13:47

hers has grown normaly now

starlover Thu 21-Apr-05 10:20:10

almostanangel... how long did it take her to grow out of it?

almostanangel Thu 21-Apr-05 10:23:24

less than a few months ..i noticed it because when we would put her in one of those bouncy chairs where they are laid back she would make a weird noice,,,the hospital said it was where the voice box haddnt finished forming they didnt treat her with any thing,,it just finished formimg like it should have done in the womb

almostanangel Thu 21-Apr-05 10:26:10

she is now nearly 8 years and there is nothing wrong with her voice i can asure you!! lol

starlover Thu 21-Apr-05 10:30:11

yeah, they said that the cartilage should gradually stregthen and stop it happening.
He's always been noisy, and they kept saying it was mucous, then wind, then just "being noisy"!
He gasps and makes squeaky noises and stops breathing sometimes because the windpipe is closing in on itself.

SPARKLER1 Thu 21-Apr-05 10:31:35

ahhhhh good luck - hope it all goes well. x

almostanangel Thu 21-Apr-05 10:50:43

i understand how you are feeling it is so scary isnt it ,but it sounds rouhly the same thing and to be honest i forget she had it until people mention it ..like you today ...have you noticed the drs arent that worried?? i think although its not nice for us it really does sort itself out ..

almostanangel Thu 21-Apr-05 10:52:06

the best thing i found was to have her sitting up right we got rid of the bouncy chair!

starlover Thu 21-Apr-05 10:56:41

Yeah you're right. I think I'm just worried that they'll discover there is something really badly wrong with him! Although he is thriving and seems happy enough as he is!

With him it makes no difference if he is upright or lying down. It seems quite arbitrary.. sometimes he is fine, other times he struggles and there is no pattern to it

almostanangel Thu 21-Apr-05 11:02:16

oh i really cant say any thing to make you feel better..can i ? hun,,this time tomorrow you will hopefully feel much better ..and can then enjoy your son,,if you need a chat you can always cat me....the only thing i can say is if they were worried he would have been in hospital already. xx

starlover Thu 21-Apr-05 11:08:30

yeah you're right. I have spoken to a couple of other people who have experienced it, and it seems to clear up or start clearing up at around 6 months..

so fingers crossed!

Am also going to ask the hospital if they hire out those breathing monitor things... I am scared to put him in his own room in case he stops breathing, but he's almost grown out of his crib!!!
(we can't fit the big cot in our room)

almostanangel Thu 21-Apr-05 11:18:50

oh thats a good idea for your piece of mind ..

NomDePlume Thu 21-Apr-05 11:19:54

Hope all goes well, starlover.

Marina Thu 21-Apr-05 11:21:48

Best of luck starlover

starlover Thu 21-Apr-05 11:31:19

thanks NDP and marina

almostanangel Fri 22-Apr-05 07:42:33

hello...how did you get on??

starlover Fri 22-Apr-05 09:27:15

it all went ok! well, apart from ds not wanting to go to sleep cos it was all so exciting.
and he kept pulling the thing off his face during the night LOL...
but the nurse said his oxygen levels were fine. So just have to wait for the OK from the consultant

almostanangel Fri 22-Apr-05 22:12:48

glad you both got on ok [[[[hugs]]]]feel better now?? take care ..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now