Talk

Advanced search

Friend having hysterectomy.. how can I help?

(9 Posts)
unicorn Wed 20-Apr-05 23:13:21

Anyone out there with experience in this?

The friend in Q is not young - but nevertheless still pretty upset, as you may imagine.

So what can I do, or get, as a present etc, that will show a) I care, and b) will help her a bit?

unicorn Thu 21-Apr-05 07:44:26

bump for morning crew...

dyzzidi Thu 21-Apr-05 08:40:46

I have had a similar surgery and I would have appreciated if someone had made and froze a few meals for me I did do some before I went into hosp but if yu were to turn up with a few when she comes out I'm sure she will appreciate it.

You could also buy her a book instead of magazines as she will be immobile for quite a while and books obviousley last longer.

Oh and maybe a nice face spray.

dyzzidi Thu 21-Apr-05 08:41:54

She also will not be able to do housework you could go round and hoover, wash clothes etc if she is alone. Or if her dp is inept.

unicorn Thu 21-Apr-05 09:02:09

dyzzidi...thanks for that some v good ideas there.

Her dh died last year, but I think she has a relative coming over to help her when she gets out of hospital.

How long will she be immobile for?

unicorn Thu 21-Apr-05 09:02:16

dyzzidi...thanks for that some v good ideas there.

Her dh died last year, but I think she has a relative coming over to help her when she gets out of hospital.

How long will she be immobile for?

unicorn Thu 21-Apr-05 09:05:11

whoops!

Miaou Thu 21-Apr-05 09:07:38

AFAIK unicorn if you have a hysterectomy you have to have at least six weeks off work and not drive for that long either. I think some practical offers of help would probably go down well - along the lines of "I'll do x for you" or "I'll come on x day" rather than "ring me if you need me". Even though she's got someone coming to help it may be nice if she's got more offers - eg cutting the grass, cleaning windows, taking her to the hairdressers etc.

dyzzidi Thu 21-Apr-05 09:07:40

I couldn't do anything fo six weeks. your friend will also be unable to drive for six weeks so a couple of 'day trips' will be appreciated. You could take her to the park for a slow walk or for lunch or even just to your house as a change of scenery will be great. Nothing too energetic as I was always tired but loved getting out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now