Talk

Advanced search

Choosing a name that people will inevitably shorten...when you don't want them to

(92 Posts)
Pamina3 Wed 20-Apr-05 14:08:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fimbo Wed 20-Apr-05 14:11:06

I think there is a tendency to shorten names whatever. We chose Adam for my ds (16mths)and already it has been shortened to Ad/Ady/Ads etc. My dd is Rachel and this gets shortened to Rach which I personally hate.

foxinsocks Wed 20-Apr-05 14:12:17

I think some people feel really strongly about things like this. Our friends called their boy Alexander and I (without thinking) said 'so, Alex, how is school' and noticed the daggers pointing. The mother then pointedly said, 'go on ALEXANDER, answer her question' at which point I wanted to hide away!

We know 2 Victorias, neither of whom are called Vicky but always Victoria. Vicky doesn't spring to mind when you say Victoria so maybe you'd be OK.

QueenEagle Wed 20-Apr-05 14:13:09

We save the full length versions of my kids names for when they are being told off!

beachyhead Wed 20-Apr-05 14:13:12

Do you like Tor or Vic? Perhaps you can CHOOSE the shortened version to avoid Vicky......my ds is called Alexander and because we always call him Alex, he thinks his middle name is Ander

iota Wed 20-Apr-05 14:13:29

fox in sox - I know someone who insists on calling her son Alexander and gets very narky if someone shortens it

poppyknot Wed 20-Apr-05 14:14:07

You could work backwards.

I liked a short name and chose the longer name (which I liked too) as the one that went on the birth certificate (and the one for Grannies etc to use!)

DH's mother called him Stephen spelt with a PH so it couldn't be shortened ?????????? as it inevitably was.

katzguk Wed 20-Apr-05 14:15:39

my sister is called victoria and my mum hated the shortening vicky aswell, my sister when shortened was tordie or tora

not sure that helps at all but it offers additional shortenig for you

frogs Wed 20-Apr-05 14:18:01

dd2 is a Victoria, but not a Vicky.

Alternatives: Vika (Russian), Vita (very Bloomsbury set), Vivvy, Plum, Torie, Vee. Actually I've slightly come round to Vicky, though we don't use it.

You do have to accept that once they start school you have no control over what form they use. Ds is Alexander, but has never been Alex at home. He used to just look blank when people called him Alex, but recently some of his friends have started using that and he's okay with it. But there are kids and staff at school who insist on calling him "Alexandra" for some reason. I don't know if it's a pronunciation thing or what (he doesn't look remotely like a girl) but that does hack him off, and I don't blame him.

Have you considered Octavia as well? That was actually our first choice, but once born she looked like a Victoria. Octavia could be Tavy for short, which is rather nice.

batters Wed 20-Apr-05 14:19:13

JanH Wed 20-Apr-05 14:19:18

I used to know a Victoria called Tory - could be spelt Torie? Or you could have Toya/h. And I know a grown-up one called Vic. I agree with foxinsocks though, Vicky isn't the form that immediately springs to mind any more, and I am guilty generally of automatic shortening.

(When I was in digs at college their second daughter's name was Victoria and she was called Lolly, even after she grew up, although I never did find out why!)

frogs Wed 20-Apr-05 14:19:59

What a lot of Alexanders there are on this thread! Hi beachyhead, my ds is Ander as well, which is what we use at home. Actually I lie, we mainly call him Piglet.

JanH Wed 20-Apr-05 14:21:07

(Must say Plum would never have occurred to me. How about Sandwich?)

bundle Wed 20-Apr-05 14:22:12

i have a friend whose ds1 is called a name he shares with bakedpotato's new ds - bp used the shortened version herself when she told me his name, and i used this as a "cue" that it was ok to use it. with the other friend, he's never been known as anything but the long version, everyone uses it

006 Wed 20-Apr-05 14:22:52

frogs Wed 20-Apr-05 14:23:08

JanH.

Enid Wed 20-Apr-05 14:24:36

I know 3 Victorias and none of them are called Victoria - a Vicky, a Vic and a Tori.

dyzzidi Wed 20-Apr-05 14:25:04

My name is Diane. Not Di yet I have always been called Di by everyone. Family, work and friends. to dear nephews/nieces I am Auntie Di and thats that. I don't mind as it has always been that way but I do hate being called Diana as it is not my name. I think you will have to deal with the fact the name will be shortened.

I will never choose a name which can be shortened as I feel that It would be nice to be known by the name I was given.

Enid Wed 20-Apr-05 14:25:06

dd1 is Eve and it gets lengthened to Evie a lot

Pamina3 Wed 20-Apr-05 14:25:28

Evesmama Wed 20-Apr-05 14:25:41

i have an Eve and some people (including herself!) call her Evie ! ! cant win

iota Wed 20-Apr-05 14:26:36

how will you feel if dd decided to shortern her name herself?

throckenholt Wed 20-Apr-05 14:28:04

she may like Vicky - how would you cope with that ?

Pamina3 Wed 20-Apr-05 14:28:58

SaintGeorge Wed 20-Apr-05 14:29:14

I don't think you can ever win with names. They get shortened,lengthened, altered, nicknames bestowed, initials that make wierd combinations, incorrect spellings. See where I'm going with this?

Just stick to calling them the version you prefer and people do eventually get the hint. If they don't then just tell them directly.

I have an Alexander (such a popular name ) and the nursery staff call him that - we tend to call him Alex or Lex.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: