Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sorry, but...hair removal

(16 Posts)
whatsername Mon 18-Apr-05 22:52:23

Ok, currently I shave, but I have extremely sensitive skin and frequently come up in a rash. Like raised, red and blotchy, and lots of ingrown hairs which then itch/sting until they've grown out.

Question is, what do you use? I'm considering an epilator, but will this have the same effect? Do you have one? Which would you recommend?

Thanks.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 18-Apr-05 22:54:33

Oh I am having the same problems atm and I never used to, so I'll find this thread useful too.

Dior Mon 18-Apr-05 22:56:37

Message withdrawn

RTKangaMummy Mon 18-Apr-05 23:01:32

In years gone by I used mitts BUT they take away suntan too

coldtea Mon 18-Apr-05 23:04:52

I had this problem the whole of last summer. It was very sore & meant i couldn't shave it. Very annoying as i training for a half marathon at the time.

I have just booked up laser treatment for it. It will take beteen 6 & 12 months & doesn't come cheap but at least it will be gone forever! Anyone else done this?

coldtea Mon 18-Apr-05 23:05:45

Should have said it may be worth going to your doctors as the rash i had was infected & needed anti-biotics

Branster Mon 18-Apr-05 23:20:52

what you need is an alcohol based solution specially designed to help with ingrowing hair. some independent chemists sell them, maybe even boots? this sort of solution would treat any kind of skin sores or grazez, spots would exfoliate the skin and also dry it . so remeber to moisturise regulalrly. i would not use it for a long time (maybe twice a day, every day for a max. of one week). and you must read the ingredients in case you are sensitive to any of them.

whatsername Mon 18-Apr-05 23:43:20

Getting rid of tan doesn't matter, I never tan anyway

I do like the idea of laser, but can't afford.

Leogaela Tue 19-Apr-05 09:34:20

coldtea - are you having legs lasered? I've considered it but just guessed it would be HUGELY expensive. Ithought they only did small areas.

stitch Tue 19-Apr-05 09:56:44

wax. not yourself, definitly ot the strips you buy in the shops. get someone else, who knows what thye are doing to do it.
epilators are horrible painful things imo.

hi5 Tue 19-Apr-05 10:08:17

hi scuse me for joining in, Nigella Lawson did an article about 2 years ago on having her hairy legs lasared - i'm definately keen but haven't looked into prices.

desperatehousewife Tue 19-Apr-05 10:11:16

yes you can get legs lasered. It's quite expensive though...but if i had the money i'd do it like a shot...fantastic. It's very quick and pain free

elsmommy Tue 19-Apr-05 10:21:12

I use a braun silk epilator I think its called. It bloody hurts when you first start using it but its very good!! You can get em cheap on ebay

Branster Tue 19-Apr-05 10:32:03

The product I mentioned earlier is called Ingrow Go, it comes in a blue plastic bottle, boxed 125ml for about £10. It should last you a lifetime because you really only need to used it once as treatment for about a week , then you can continue shaving your legs if waxing is not something you'd like to do.

I agree, would love to have the laser done too but it's quite expensive. I'm sticking to waxing for now (and shaving in an emergency). as for electric epilators, you might find them painful if you're not used to them. i'm OK using them but find it takes a very long time to get it all done.

coldtea Tue 19-Apr-05 11:45:20

leogaela-no i'm having under my arms done but as desperatehousewife says you can have your legs done, though you must have to have so many shots!

I have my first full treatment tomorrow night, the skin test wasn't so bad so i'm hoping it won't be too painful, and i'm such a baby!

Leogaela Tue 19-Apr-05 12:25:08

Having underarms done with laser would be a start!!! hmmm, I am inspired have a look at prices now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now