Talk

Advanced search

Gobbledigook / Tamum (scientist / researcher type people) - can you help Twiglett out please?

(26 Posts)
Twiglett Mon 18-Apr-05 22:14:30

bear of little brain (Birthday bear of little brain...hurrah ) needs a little help

A couple of years there was a very interesting surgical research piece on replacing joints

"Surgeons say they have successfully grown new finger and toe joints in people with rheumatoid arthritis. They say the technique can reverse the damage caused by the disease, restoring movement and eliminating pain. Surgeons at Tampere University of Technology in Finland say it could become widely available within a year"

bbc coverage here

am struggling to find out how this work has progressed (whether it has) .. can you advise me on how I would find out more (especially availability in UK)?

- if you're reading and can't help, could you bump it for me please <winning smile>

unicorn Mon 18-Apr-05 22:20:16

... bump!!!!!

pixiefish Mon 18-Apr-05 22:21:12

...ety bump

tamum Mon 18-Apr-05 22:26:16

Hello my dear

The latest paper I can find is here , but it's just the paper that the BBC stuff was almost certainly referring to. I'll try and do a forward search and see who has quoted the paper, but it may take me a while (what with watching ER and all some friend eh)

colditz Mon 18-Apr-05 22:27:36

<<< Happy Birthday Twiglett>>>

pixiefish Mon 18-Apr-05 22:29:34

Happy Birthday Twiglett

tamum Mon 18-Apr-05 22:35:25

Oh, Happy Birthday!!

They are trying to patent it, or have maybe succeeded, described here , so it sounds as though it is still ongoing (this is a 2005 article). If you Google on bioreconstructive joint you get a few more links. If it was me, I would just email the address given on the Pubmed link and ask if they know of anyone setting up clinical trials in the UK, I bet they'd get back to you. HTH

hunkermunker Mon 18-Apr-05 22:36:51

<<Happy Birthday, Twiglett! Did you get a Spider-Man backpack as your main present?>>

JoolsToo Mon 18-Apr-05 22:41:04

happy birthday Twiglett

you share your birthday with Hayley Mills

JanH Mon 18-Apr-05 22:45:12

It's my birthday in 1hr 15 mins [hopeful]

JanH Mon 18-Apr-05 22:46:15

(I share mine with Alan Price and Dudley Moore and Sue Barker and Dickie Bird and Tim Curry [mad grin])

tamum Mon 18-Apr-05 22:46:50

Happy Birthday Janh

(slightly off-topic, but hey)

JanH Mon 18-Apr-05 22:48:53

Thenk you, darlink

Sorry for hijack

Pubmed sounds like a bar in Marbella you know...

pixiefish Mon 18-Apr-05 22:49:37

Happy birthday to janh for tomorrow

tamum Mon 18-Apr-05 22:51:52

There's actually a facility for automatically searching it every day called Pubcrawler

JanH Mon 18-Apr-05 22:52:25

pf

(sorry for hijack twiggy! Hope you had a lovely burfday yourself )

JoolsToo Mon 18-Apr-05 22:52:57

ooh - JanH - welcome to my club

ta-da!

JanH Mon 18-Apr-05 22:54:31

OMG I have oven gloves in that pattern!

Thanks for welcome to 23 again club JT

Twiglett Mon 18-Apr-05 23:05:21

Thanks - I've had the most lovely birthday weekend and day

Thank you Tamum (my hero ... always makes me want to say 'my aero' that does )

Happy Birthday for tomorrow JanH

tamum Mon 18-Apr-05 23:08:14

I'll be your aero, that's fine. If it's any comfort I was reading dd a story about a unicorn called Twilight this evening and kept calling it Twiglett

Twiglett Tue 19-Apr-05 07:01:36

I'm famous

<<thinks: drat my secret is out, I truly am a mythical horned creature>>

happymerryberries Tue 19-Apr-05 07:05:26

Happy birthday! Are you going to have a cake with 'hurump' number of twiglets in it instead of candles? That many candles could be dangerous////

Any plans for today?

Twiglett Tue 19-Apr-05 07:18:00

Thanks HMB .. but it was my birthday yesterday (got 2 cakes btw one on sunday and one on monday and I am now officially old enough to just get the stylish ONE candle )

Today, is JanH's birthday though

happymerryberries Tue 19-Apr-05 07:20:30

Yes, me too. This year it will be 43 and I think that would melt the icing on the cake!

JanH Have a great birthday!

hub2dee Tue 19-Apr-05 09:17:57

Happy Bidet Marmitey One !

Happy Bidet JanH !

(JanH - hope you realise I was on your side on last night's thread !)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: